Stromberg UU-2 Carburetor Reproduction

Hello Everyone,<BR>There is a company based out of Australia which currently makes reproductions of the Stromberg U-2 and UX2 Carburetors. Since I receive many inquiries if I know where there are any used or other Stromberg UU-2 Carburetors out there, I contacted this company to see what they could do. They also make other reproduction parts, below are links to the web catalog for both Studebaker items and general items;<BR> <A HREF="http://www.vintageandclassicreproductions.com/studebak.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.vintageandclassicreproductions.com/studebak.htm</A> <BR> <A HREF="http://www.vintageandclassicreproductions.com/Universal.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.vintageandclassicreproductions.com/Universal.htm</A> <P>Now, if there is enough demand out there, they may reproduce the UU-2 Carburetor, if anyone is interested in a reproduction Stromberg UU-2 please post your interest here, with your contact information so I can get a feel for how many owners are interested. Below is a response they sent to our inquires; <P>Quote;<BR>"In reply to your e-mail - it is very hard to give an exact cost to reproduce this carby as we have not even seen one yet. We feel that the base will cost somewhere between $ 550-$600 each and the float tops would be somewhere around the $100 each. We are going to need a couple of samples to get the correct specifications from - is there enough out there to do this. I will need them for six months or so as it takes a lot of work to get this up and going. Also if you can rally enough people to order this carby they will be required to place a 50% deposit on placement of order. You may decide to start with only the float chamber top first and see how that goes and if all are happy then work on the base. Let us know your thoughts.<P>Regards Glenn"<P>Unquote<P>Again if anyone is interested in pursuing this, please pot it here our send me an e-mail.<BR>ASCwebmaster<BR> webmaster@antiquestudebakerclub.com

A new UU2 carb is a great idea however they are not all created equal, Dictator, Commander and President had differant jets and venturies. Early ones had pot metal throttle bodies that disintegrated while later ones had cast iron that held up well.<BR>I am afraid that a whole UU2 repro will end up costing more than the car. There must be 50 little wickets, shafts and levers that are needed to fabricate a working unit. The float chamber is a good start, I have bought so many disappointments over the years. They get condensation in them, then freeze in the winter and fracture all the fine passages beyong repair. the 70 year old die cast is destined for destruction any minute now.

The specific UU-2 Carb which we are speaking of here to repo, would be the one for the Presidents, as that is what the current demand seems to be for. The company in question seems confident they can reproduce this, as they have already done so with the U-2 and UX-2. Considering the last original UU-2 I saw advertised in Hemmings 4 years ago, which was being sold as "NOS" they wanted $850 and I doubt they gave any guarantees as to how long the pot metal would last, the "Old Carb Doctor" used to rebuild these and says he will no longer rebuild the UU-2 (the last one he did cost the custmor $600 and apparently had him pulling out his hair) All things considered, if the total for all three components of the carb can be reproduced for less than a grand, I am sure that is less than you can pick up a whole 28-30 President for, or even a NOS UU-2.

The base on my UU-2 is the most obvious problem(warped). I`m thinking about building it up with J-B Weld so it will seal up to the manifold again. Any body tried this allready? A new carb or parts would be tempting but theres always the cost consideration.Of course if the car doesn`t run,it makes an awfull big paperweight.

• 2 weeks later...

I also have problems with uu2. Have worked mine over but have not tried to start my car yet. It is very brittle and some parts were JB welded where moisture had gotten in the bowl. I would be interested if the price does not exceed the value of the rest of the junk which I hope to be able to drive some day. My car set for 40 years outside and most of the interior and wood ran off on the ground. No hill for a stepper.<P>dave woodson

Dave; They tell me the oil pump can also suffer from old age rot and can self destruct when you try to start the engine. A replacement is available I`m told. Haven`t looked at mine yet, just thought I`d pass along the advise.Gary. shocked.gif" border="0

Gary Nolting<P>I have not tried to mount my carburetor back on the engine as that is still several months away. As for the oil pump I do plan to replace the housing with a brass unit which is available form Lional Stone. Would be interested in talking on the phone sometime or even visiting in person.If interested Email me. I am at kpresent restoring a 29 President FH sedan for 5.<P>Dave Woodson<BR>Email davesbsi@grm.net

Before you jump into something that might be just as bad as what you have, may I suggest that you contact a fellow in Washington state who specializes in difficult and odd-ball carbs. He did the Stromberg EE-22 for my '32 Nash, and it had serious problems. He even has a method for working pot metal. <P>Besides complete carburetors, Loren has many parts, plus a full machine shop in which he can fabricate many parts. Talk to him; he does nice work and, by the way, is a real nice guy!<P>Loren Knutson - email at Lorens@fidalgo.net<P>Neil M

• 20 years later...
  • 4 months later...