63 Seat belt mounting hardware

petelempert

I'm getting ready to re-do the seatbelts on my 63. My car came with only front belts. Not sure if they were factory or dealer installed, but they are the chromed aviation style buckles without any logo. The chrome is decent, the webbing is shot but I'm gong to re-web them in a different color anyway. The mounting hardware (plates that bolt to the floor) looks crummy. The mounting plates look to me like they were originally anodized, maybe even galvanized. Right know, they are dull gray in some spots and rusted in others. Has anybody re-finished them? What's the ideal finish: new coating, paint, chrome? Anybody with a survivor that can tell me what they looked like in 1963? Thanks in advance. PRL

My seatbelts are as you described yours except my webbing is showing its age but still ok and the mounting plates are chrome and in better shape than the drivers buckle. The bolts into the floor are also chrome plated.

Edited by 68bill (see edit history)

Thanks Bill. Meant to add that my belts have "Jeffrey-Allan Ind, Inc, Evanston, Ill, JAI-100" stamped on the bar plate. Not sure if thats a clue regarding their OEM or dealer install origin. Here's the bummer: To re-web mine in a new color and re-chrome the base plates will far exceed the cost of some of the repos out there. PRL

We have different manufacturers and I don't know what OEM was but on my flat blade end there is no marking. On the inside of the buckle paddle in raised letting so part of the casting is

ASSY. NO. WB530

BROWN-LINE BUCKLE

GENERAL TUBE CO.

STURGIS MICHIGAN

My 63 was manufactured is September of 62 with most of the options available at the time but I'm not sure if seat belts were original equipment or not. I have seen ones like mine in other 63's that I believe were originall. I would send pic but I haven't learned how yet.

Hmmm. My buckles are smooth faced chrome, no V design like yours. OPGI makes one that looks identical to mine for $100 for the front set. I usually bend over backwards to maintain OEM if possible, but now I'm really vexed. Re-webbing alone is probably going to exceed $100, my chrome is just OK and the base plates are really beat up. I might cave in and get repros. PRL

My '63 has the plain faced air plane style release buckle on it. 

68BIll,

The window sticker I have for my '63 is similar to yours but there's quite a bit of difference.  Yours does not have a dealership to which the car was delivered nor does it have the FB number on it.  Mine does not have the - between the letter and the number.  You'll also notice that the Twilight Sentinel and the Guidematic do not include definitions of their functions. Mine also has a big paragraph at the bottom that states:  Look at my last post on the dual four barrel car for a picture of a '64 window sticker; it has the same statement about standard equipment on it.  I have a feeling that your sticker is a repo.

On the window sticker it’s typed all in caps so I’m showing it the same way here.

THE FOLLOWING ITEMS, OPTIONAL ON SOME OTHER MODELS, ARE

STANDARD EQUIPMENT ON THIS MODEL…………………………………..

RIVIERA 2 DR. SPORT COUPE

TURBINE DRIVE TRANSMISSION – RIVIERA WHEEL COVERS – LICENSE

PLATE FRAME – ELECTRIC CLOCK – FOAM PADDED BUCKET SEATS, FRONT

AND REAR – AUTOMATIC TRUNK LIGHT – DUAL EXHAUST – EASY POWER

STEERING – POWER BRAKES – WINDSHIELD WASHER AND 2 SPEED WIPERS

BACK-UP LIGHTS – GLARE PROOF MIRROR – PARKING BRAKE SIGNAL

LIGHT.

I've seen the same info on other '63 Riviera window stickers.

Here's a picture of mine.  I'm also including a picture of my seat belts.

post-93305-0-75205600-1453155440_thumb.j

post-93305-0-55505800-1453155739_thumb.j

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Ed,

I'm not trying to pass off that window sticker as authentic. You know it's one I got blank and added options and prices for interesting talking points at the local car shows. And it helps not to get too many questions about what that funny looking thing is on top of the dash. Most non-riviera people are amassed how many options it has and how expensive it was new.

Bill

I'll be doing something very similar for my '64.  Although it will be kind of hard to "write off" some of my tweaks as factory - such as "Is that a factory experimental Q-jet on a '64, I thought that didn't come out until '66." "Were delayed wipers an option in '64?".  As long as it's all in good fun, or as you say, to advise people of what's what, you're in good company.

Ed

Here is another picture of the seat belts in question. Ed maybe you know if these seat belts could have been OEM in September 62 or if they were dealer installed later. At the ROA meet last summer I did notice at least one other 63 with the same style just different color belt. Also is a picture of a add on spring loaded belt roll up that I assume someone added later.

Thanks

Bill

post-153295-0-06233400-1453158640_thumb.

post-153295-0-10689100-1453158937_thumb.

I have seen that style of buckle before.  I can only imagine that if a dealer installed seat belts, he would install what ever he could get his hands on that was the right color, was a quality piece, and would represent the car well to the owner and the public.  Any belt that was put on a Fisher Body car will have a tag saying the same, I have some '64 belts that have a Buick logo on the buckle, rather than a Fisher Body logo and those belts have BUICK on the label, along with the mill that produced them and a date of production.  Those retractors are still available.  I know that Eckler's Corvette sells them.

Ed

Ed,

My belts don't have a Fisher or Buick tags. The tags are from the manufacturer Brown-Line Buckle General Tube Co. Thanks for the info.

Bill

Pete,

In the past I had a 1963 Pontiac Grand Prix and a 1963 Pontiac Tempest convertible both of which came with seat belts from the factory. I had the same dilemma as you. I wanted to stay stock but, cringed at the price it would take to refurbish the originals. I ended up getting repros and was very happy with those. I was just in contact with Ssnake Oyl recently as I was contemplating a selt belt change in my Riviera. I was quoted $90.00 per passenger for rewebbing. If you want the exact webbing as was used originally it will cost you even more as that webbing is no longer made and is at a premium. Ssnake Oyl said that Corvette owners that are sticklers for authenticity will pay big bucks to get this webbing. They also do rechroming/refurbishing for the metal portions of the belts which adds to the price. I decided to stay with my repro belts on my Riv. In my opinion I didn't think the large cost to get to original seat belts was worth the small impact it had on the look of the car. I thought my money could be better spent elsewhere on the car. I did not have a set of original belts though, like you do. I had to add the price of getting the original belts also, which really skewed the cost. Both sets of belts that were installed at the factory and removed from my 1963 Pontiacs looked exactly like the picture Ed supplied, buckle and webbing. I'm sorry I don't have any pictures and I sold all of my Pontiac stuff after I bought my Riv. You might want to check other places than OPGI for belts. I have gotten sets of belts for 4 different 1963 GM cars from J.C. Whitney at prices much lower than OPGI or other reproduction parts vendors. I was very happy with the belts and they looked no different than ones sold by anyone else. I know I have seen them recently on other websites while I was looking for seat belt retractors for less than OPGI. I hope this helps.

Bill

I decided last night, I'd go with the reproduction belts for all the reasons you mentioned Bill. The cost/effort was just too high for something that didn't really impact things that much. Since my belts don't retract, half the time I get out of my Riv the buckle falls out of the my lap and hits the pavement anyway so I'm not feeling too precious about things. Also, I had Ssnake Oyl redo the belts on my 442 and I honestly was not that pleased. The painted buckles began to chip early and the webbing on the belts is sort of thin. I'll try repos, keep my old belts in storage and over time, if I change my mind, it's a bolt on switch. On to the next. PRL

Wesco Performance has reproduction belts available and offers some classic buckles for two point belts.

http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/seatbelts.html

This particular belt is like the ones in my '63.

http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/ll60.html

They also offer the hardware necessary to tack weld to the underneath side of the floor board for attachment.  I used these to install the rear belts on my '64.  Look for mounting plate #102.  It has the same fine 7/16" thread that the factory used.  Type #102 into the search window to go to the part.

There are quite a few places that sell the proper chrome plated bolts.  I saw them on OPGI for $18.99 but found them here for $5.99 each

http://www.classicindustries.com/product/impala/parts/fb64.html

You might consider a retractor like this to keep the belt off the asphalt.

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corvette-seat-belt-retractor.html

Bill (68bill),

I believe your belts are correct for `63. Also, your retractor looks period correct but hard to tell from the pic posted. If I`m not mistaken, the `63 owners manual pictures a "V" styled chrome buckle. Also, Brown Line was the manufacturer for early `64 belts so it makes sense they may have supplied from `63 into early `64. If some one has the time to check and post a pic from the `63 owners manual that may be helpful.

Tom

1965rivigs,

Thanks for your observation of the small drawing in the owners manual. I made the cold icy walk out to my shop and got my 1963 Owners Guide out of my riv which is not the one originally sent with my car but for one also made in September 62 and the seatbelt drawing is what I have. If this is the style for early 63 and for early 64 it seams odd later 63's were different. But as has been stated before they could have changed suppliers and just changed back or used both at the same time.

Thanks

Billpost-153295-0-84681100-1453342151_thumb.

Edited by 68bill (see edit history)

Bill,

My intention was to say the company, Brown Line, made the early `64 belts as well as your `63 belts, not that they were the same style. I`m not sure we have any solid documentation that the other belts shown are `63 factory correct and not aftermarket. Did I miss something?

Tom

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)

Based on the way mine are mounted to the floor, I'm almost certain that they were either installed by the dealer from whatever source was available or knowing the gentleman from whom I bought the car, the original owner, he could have installed them himself.

Ed

Tom,

OK I thought you also had the V Style Brown Line in 64. It is the V buckle in the drawing but I also could see them just using a drawing of a seatbelt they had on hand knowing it didn't really matter if it was the exact one for this riviera.

Bill