Corvair identification

llopdoro

Hello All, Happy New Year ! ! !

I am Belgian and was purchasing a 1966 Corvair Corsa 140 and a 1966 Corvair Monza Coupes in 1976. The two cars were vandalized by members of my family who were jaleous.

Now I have decided to restore the Corsa first in its original colors and trim. For the trim I have no problem because the number 740 is correct Red as said in "CHASSIS and BODY PARTS CATALOG CHEVROLET CORVAIR 1960 THRU 1969". But I do not find the color, the number 478 is not existing on the US market.. It seems to be Sandewood but I am not sure and in the US the trim associated to this color is Fawn, never Red. It is because the combination seems to be unique I decided to restore it in the correct color and trim.

I wish also know where the VIN # is engraved in the body/chassis as Corvair is known to have no chassis.

Please see the annexed plate

With my best regards,

Philippe L. Hulet de Limal

Florenville

Belgiumpost-104135-0-21467200-1452903603_thumb.

Check with Clark's Corvair, Inc. in the state of Massachusetts (www.corvair.com).  They are the major supplier of Corvair parts, manuals, etc. and should have info on exported Corvairs.  Also, check out CORSA (Corvair Society of America) which also covers Corvair clubs located outside the USA.  Hope this helps.

Keith

Thank you for your reply, Keith.

It's me who introduced C.O.R.S.A. in France in the eighties and I am knowing Clark's from long time. I alreayd was purchasing parts from them.

I like Corvairs since 1962 when my parents offered to me a 1962 Belgian Corvair 700 4-d automatic, I purchased a 1962 Canadian Corvair 900 Monza 4-d automatic from a US citizen living in Brussels, Belgium, who was in the same tennis club than me. Himself was purchasing a 1965 4-d Monza.

I purchased a 1966 Corsa 140 Coupe in 1974, b ut it was in bad condition and I sold it a few months later and in 1976, I purchased an other Corsa and 2 Monza. I restored the Corsa but due to my marriage in 1979, my car was remaining in my parents estate until 1991 and in my father's manufactory until 2003 but it was vandalized by one of my brothers who was jaleous. After 2003 until last year I didn't know where it was but a cousin of my wife found it in a yard and now it is at home.

I wish to restore it in its original colors as I was seeing such combination is very rare: a kind of gold outside and red for the interior. The gold perhaps to be Sandalwood.

Happy weekend,

Philippe

• 3 years later...

Regarding the gold color, I only have some parts becaus I put the engine and gearbox with the dash with kilometers odometer in one of the Monzas I cloned. The car is grey. I have all the papers but not the VIN plate like the two above as it was robed from the car when parked in the yard of a cousin in 2004 until 2014. I reality he said to me he will park the car in a closed room in September, 2003. But never until August, 2014, he said the car was put ouside near a nightclub he was owner.

So I will restore the Grey car with an engine and gearbox I will find and restore an other one with the Corsa engine, gearbox and dash in Gold with red interior. The Grey Monza has an interior in Red too.

Gold parts

P1020087ACCF.JPG

P1020081.JPG

... and here as the Grey car is actually. I will be 75 yo this year and am waiting to find courage and friends for the restoration.

My idea is to purchase an US 1966 Corsa or Monza Coupe with a Red interior, keep its engine, gearbox and dash an put them in the Monza in place of the same materials I will get in the Corsa I will paint in the #478 Job.

Here are some pics of the car. Don't smile or weep, please.

P1020048.JPG

P1020042.JPG

P1020044.JPG

P1020045.JPG

P1020021.JPG

P1020027.JPG

• 2 years later...

I am not home where I can decode your ID plates.... from the photos, the car shown is a Corsa not a Monza. 

It will say Corsa at the rear of the front fender and the model emblem is in front of the rear wheel. 

A Monza would have the Monza emblem low on the front fender behind the wheel. 

The 140 hp 4 carb engine was standard on the Corsa and an option on a Monza.

The Corsa will have a different dash with a tach, speedometer and 4 gages.... Monza dash does not have a tach unless someone put 

one in the center where the optional clock would be. 

• 4 months later...