56 port hole

Guest Rich's 56

Guest Rich's 56

Good Morning! I have been looking to see of my 56 has the correct top, I see some have the porthole and others do not.. was this an option at the time. mine has a badge non porthole? Thanks

My understanding is the porthole was a mid year change, in 56. Someone with real knowledge will chime in, I'm sure. Porthole tops did not have the emblem, and non porthole did. I don't know if it was an add option, or a delete to not have it. Ford offered a retrofit kit, which is still available from some of the suppliers (repop, I'm sure). I added portholes to my 55 because it was so blind in traffic, but kept the emblem, indicating it was installed later, a bit of a moot point on a 55.

The porthole hardtop was available throughout the 1956 and 1957 model year. Neither year had an emblem on the top. The 1956 non-porthole hardtop did not have an emblem of an kind. The 1957 non-porthole hardtop had an emblem like the one on your car. You either have a 1957 style top or a 1956 top that someone added the emblems to.

Regards,

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My Dad ordered a new T-Bird in 1957 and the porthole/non porthole was an option. He did not like the porthole so ordered it without. They took it on a trip to Colorado in 1957. That was the last time it saw rain. It has been covered in heated storage since, 25000 miles and with only tires, batteries and mufflers replaced. He passed away last month as probably one of the last original owners of an early two seater bird. It is now mine and not for sale till my estate auction.

Tom Muth

• 2 weeks later...

Tom,

Please post some pictures.  I would love to see a family owned original 1957 Thunderbird with only 25,000 miles.  I have a restored 1956 with no idea how many owners it has had.  You are lucky indeed to have an original Thunderbird that belonged to your father.

I will post pictures in time when I figure out how to do it. I am also dealing with a mother with dementia. I came home from birth in the car in 1958. While I have driven his other old cars many timed,Dad only let me drive the T-Bird twice, once about 18 years of age and about five years ago. It was running as we made the driver swaps both times. Last week I fired it up for the first time myself since it last ran in October when we had some other cars out. It ran fine but did not leave the garage with a muddy yard. I plan to drive it a little more than my father in recent years which has been about 500 miles in 20 years.

Tom Muth