WTB American Bosch Magneto switch

Looking for a switch like this in operating order:

IMG_2708_zps0eedo5vp.jpg

I don't necessarily need a key.  The keys in the photo are not original, however, they were made to fit.

Alternately, is there anybody who might be able to fix the one I have in the photo?  The internal spring action is broken and it seems the structure of the housing is pressed together.

Old post I found here, but already sold:

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/128247-for-sale-american-bosch-ww1-era-magneto-switch-possibly-nos/

Edited by Gotfredson (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Took it apart.  Destroyed it as expected.  The internal spring was broken.  If you ever try to take one of these apart to fix it keep in mind...

1) The spring is usually the first thing to go.  You will need to find a spring with the exact same width and length to fix it.

2) The center mechanism is made of brown PLASTIC, which is very brittle.  Be careful taking it out or it will break into pieces.

3) Do not cut along the lines of those two indentations (like I did).  You want to keep those indentations intact.  They hold an internal washer in place:

IMG_3269_zps7dntjfs3.jpg

IMG_3313_zpswoefjzag.jpg

IMG_3314_zpsgktmkpwj.jpg

IMG_3317_zps3illdrzw.jpg

838E0214-1F02-43BA-889A-BDE606D9DE6F_zps

See here the spring is broken in half, which is why the switch was not working:

IMG_3322_zpsfvx8xebq.jpg

D06B9ED7-1DF6-40EF-8D65-32E38B429491_zps

The brass T is what makes contact with the brass washer to make continuity and kill the magneto.

IMG_3316_zpsd16a95m8.jpg

IMG_3320_zpsjgm9hlco.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The superglue did not hold and the brown plastic part exploded when I tried to bend the metal back around it.  So, I ordered a piece of black plastic rod off ebay with the same diameter:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-pcs-Nylon-Polyamide-PA-Plastic-Round-Rod-Stick-Black-20mm-x-250mm-B-F-/171427628569?hash=item27e9e20619:g:NUsAAOSwDk5T9EuS

IMG_3373_zps6jjfbx60.jpg

Cut it with a hacksaw, drilled it out, and grinded it with a dremel.  It was much stronger plastic than original.  Installed the new spring I found on Ebay too.  I was able to pound the metal back around the new black plastic.  There also is a metal band that goes around it for added support.

IMG_3382_zpsoj3pe1zr.jpg

Works like a charm.  Front of the switch is fine:

IMG_3378_zpstvbchb7i.jpg

Edited by Gotfredson (see edit history)

Thanks for the excellent photo's. Often with delicate components like this getting them apart without major destruction is the biggest hurdle. Your photo's should be a big help to anyone with a similar switch that needs repair.

Greg in Canada

• 2 months later...
Guest patdbossct
On December 15, 2015 at 6:09 PM, Layden B said:

If anyone is interested, have this magneto switch ( makes in OFF position to ground and kill a magneto) 2 3/4" diameter, works great. $165.

magneto switch a.JPG

magneto switch b.JPG

Do you still have this for sale ?