1948 Chrysler C-38 Windsor Sedan 6 cylinder fuel pump

Guest markrush

Guest markrush

The fuel pump on my 1948 Chrysler Windsor sedan was leaking gas, so I ordered a new one from Andy Bernbaum. They sent me a glass-bowl model. When I took off my heat shield, I noticed mine was not a glass bowl model and the threaded rod from the heat shield had no place to attach to the glass bowl model as it did on mine. My fuel pump would have had an original part number of 683 056 (parts book p. 252).

Is this suppopsed to be a replacement equivalent?

If not, do you know of a source for the right pump if they do not have it? Is this is just an error by Andy Bernbaum? I have seen some references on this site to rebuild kits from Then and Now Automotive. Is that a better route?

Also, I have never R&R the fuel pump. The space is very tight and the visibility poor down there. I do not find anything on R&R in the Service Manual (guess it was considered routine). How hard is this and what is involved on getting the mechanical linkage disconnected and connected.

Guest markrush

By the way, the Shop Manual does seem to picture a glass bowl fuel pump on p. 130, but the parts manual seems to show something else on p. 233 (where it references 14-73-2 which leads to the part number I gave above on p. 252). Page 238 also looks like what I have.

You should take these questions up with the Birnbaum people.

Replacing a fuel pump is fairly simple. You need to disconnect the fuel lines, remove the 2 bolts holding the pump in place and pull it out. There is no linkage to disconnect. There is an arm on the pump, pushed by the camshaft. If the pump doesn't want to go in, the cam is probably pushing the arm away. If you turn the engine 1/2 turn it should go in easier. Or just push it into place and tighten the bolts to pull it in.

There should be a removable panel in the inner fender to allow access for valve adjustment. It may be easier to jack up the car and put it on stands, remove the wheel, and go in through the inner fender.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

A common issue... the new modern replacement pump fits but is a little different and so the heat sheild stud won't mount...

Mount the stud on the pump in a place that will work...modify so the sheild can be securely mounted or have your old pump rebuilt.

They don't make the same exact replacement new pumps today.

The pump you just got will work though just requires some mods.

Then and Now is the way of simplicity though!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest markrush

I finally got around to replacing the fuel pump. I went ahead and installed the glass-bowl model I got from from Andy Bernbaum. It went in easily. All I had to do to allow for the mounting of the heat shield was remove one screw in the new unit; the threaded rod from the heat shield had the same threads so there was no issue at all with the pump itself.

The only issue I did have was the flexible fuel line that attaches to the fuel pump inlet. I bought one from AB but it was too long. I tried to flex it in an arc shape but it split all the way through to the core. I suspect it had been on the shelf too long. I was able to just reuse the brass fittings on my old line with a piece of fuel line and hose clamps I got at the local auto parts store. It's just as well, as I decided to monitor the condition of my fuel tank with an inline fuel filter I also added to that line.

I'll keep the old fuel pump for a possible rebuild down the road.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe your '48 Chrysler already has a sintered-metal fuel filter attached to the fuel pickup line in the bottom of the fuel tank. Adding an additional filter outside the tank increases the resistance your fuel pump must overcome in order to draw fuel. As such, I'd seriously question whether a fuel pump with a glass bowl filter was used by Chrysler on this car. 

You can verify an in-tank filter by removing the sender and peering into the tank. The metal filter mentioned above is about the size of a hockey puck. It is non-removable and non-serviceable. Although if plugged, some cleaning might be accomplished by blowing compressed air into the fuel line.

I've had very good response from Then and Now, talk to Lisa there.  They supplied me with fuel pumps for my early production 1930 ( built in 1929) Chrysler model 70's. Perfect match and they rebuilt one for me.  Very good people to deal with. Call and talk to them about your pump.