1947 Chrysler Governor

I am about to clean the points in the transmission governor. Looking at it, it appears it could be done without take the governor out of the car.  Would this be advisable ?

How difficult would it be to take the governor out so it could be cleaned on the bench & replaced back in the transmission?  Any help would certainly be appreciated,

Regards

Bruce Watson

I have cleaned the governor following your suggestions. After using the brake kleen  I dried it with compressor & used the paper as you suggested. No dirt was apparent on the paper. I did a test drive this AM and all worked well with the down shifting  for about 15 min. I re did all the electrical tests and all proved positive. What do you think the next step to try and resolve this downshifting problem.  The only down shifting problem is that when I come to a stop it won't shift down.

Bruce Watson

You need voltage to the red wire on the solenoid for a down shift to happen.

Do you have a volt meter?

If so hook one lead to good body frame ground..... hook the other lead to the red wire on the solenoid.

Turn the key to on...does the meter read 6 volts... it should. Now drive the car ..... anytime above 15 MPH there should be no voltage reading from the meter (trans in high range) solenoid is not energized allowing full upshift oil pressure.

Now when coming to a complete stop watch the meter it should show a  6 volt reading when the car speed drops below 5-10 MPH.... this shows the solenoid is energized and should dump all oil pressure to let the trans downshift.

If there is no voltage showing... the fuse, the fuse holder, the relay or wiring could be  faulty.

More tests with your meter required.