Trans to Torque Tube Leak

abelincoln

Finally beginning to put the 48 LC back together.  One of first tasks is to install the rebuilt transmission.  The trans end of the torque tube has a split bell with a grease fitting and an inner bell that fits inside.  The transmission has a universal joint that slips on the end of the driveshaft sticking out the end of the torque tube.  Looks like the design is to permit the engine and transmission vibrate and move separately from the torque tube movements. 

Problem is mine has obviously been leaking grease to the outside, as well as filling up the end of the transmission where the universal joint resides.  I'm thinking of cleaning up the torque tube surface and putting a bead of RTV silicon on the tube before everything is bolted together.  Anyone tried something like this?

Thanks

Abe

post-87260-0-81018800-1449205701_thumb.j

Are you talking about putting RTV at the point the arrow in the photo is pointing to?

post-95329-0-65222200-1449245911_thumb.j

The U-Joint should be lubed with a semi-liquid grease, such as John Deere Cornhead Grease. Use a full tube for the first fill and then add 2 pumps every season. The cork seal is usually enough to keep it in the U-Joint, but the amount that you show in the photo is pretty normal. Some of it could have come from trying to put chassis lube in the fitting. Make sure that you have the correct fitting, so that the grease gun nozzle will fit correctly. The inner cover grease hole should line up with the outer cover grease fitting.

I doubt that RTV will be as good as the cork gasket, because there is always some movement there and the cork does a better job of sealing in these conditions..

You should make sure that the rear slinger in the transmission is in good shape and installed correctly. Excess end play in the transmission can also contribute to excess lube in the U-Joint area and the rear end.

Edited by 19tom40 (see edit history)

Tom:

Thanks for the advice.  Do you mean a product like SAE 140 gear oil, or wheel bearing grease?  The old grease felt like chassis lube grease.  I do think I found a solution to the leaking problem on e-bay.  www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-flathead-U-joint-torque-tube-O-Ring-stop-leak-kit-w-gaskets-transmission-/251255228584?hash=item3a7ffa88a8:m:mHN4d-TolrcVhkvi3zOMRMQ&vxp=mtr.

Abe

That does look like a good solution. Hopefully it will not deteriorate when soaked with grease. There were some comments about it on the Ford Barn and the HAMB, but I could not find any long term results.

John Deere Corn Head grease is more grease like than 140 gear oil and more liquid than wheel bearing grease. It feels similar to chassis grease when at room temperature, but liquefies at a lower temperature. Neither wheel bearing grease or chassis grease will keep the U-Joint properly lubricated. Here is a link to a vendor. You can also buy it at Farm and Fleet or any John Deere dealer.

http://www.greenpartstore.com/John-Deere-Special-Purpose-Corn-Head-Gun-Grease-AN102562.html

When you post a link, include a blank line above and below so that anyone can click on it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-flathead-U-joint-torque-tube-O-Ring-stop-leak-kit-w-gaskets-transmission-/251255228584?hash=item3a7ffa88a8:m:mHN4d-TolrcVhkvi3zOMRMQ&vxp=mtr.