1948 Chrysler rear end gear fluid

Guest 48windsor14

Guest 48windsor14

Hello my 48 Windsor needs more oil in the rear end. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how to refill it and what type of gear oil I should use. Thanks in advance.

Hypoid 80 gear oil. Easy way, take it to a garage and have them top it up while they change the oil. Hard way, there is a pipe plug on the back of the differential housing or possibly on the side. To check the level stick your finger in. If you touch oil it is full. If not you need to fop it up. Fill it till the oil drips out. Then replace the plug.

HOWEVER, odds are that any oil change bozos where you take it will only have GL-5 gear oil (for limited slip diffs) in stock. Because you likely have yellow-metal (bronze, brass) components in that diff, you must use GL-4 (that's FOUR). You have a hypoid diff (pinion is below center of the pumpkin) to you need EP (Extreme Pressure) gear oil.

To get GL-4 you may have to order it from NAPA. I haven't seen any GL-4 on the shelves of the chains like Advance, O'Reilly, Pep Boys, and even Wal-Mart for at least ten years.