Nice 9b auctioned off yesterday

Attitude928

It's a CCCA approved classic that had a relatively high sticker price in 1920 ($3750). It has a relatively low rated 199ci engine of 25.3, but at least the sedan is light weight (2755lbs) and nimble.  I think the bid price is a good deal but the buyer's premium makes it less of a bargain.  Every  car that I bought 10-15 years ago for $9,000-$10,000 is now $15,000 ('62 Mini, '71 Lotus Elan +2S, '73 TVR 2500M, '80 Vette, etc.).  So like I said: a nice car for $13,500 without buyer's fees.  The prices of Brass & Nickel have also risen in the past 5 years.  It is very possible that car prices will fall back once the stock market bull market ends...

Edited by Attitude928 (see edit history)

I guess it would make a good museum piece, but in my opinion these 20s cars that aren't good road machines are not a great investment. Im  probably wrong ,but don't see a future for this car. They are slow, poor brakes ,under powered, and expensive to work on. A good Model T Ford  would run the pants off it...

Try brass car touring some day, including one and two cylinder cars, and you'll see what all the excitement is about. Brass cars are showing strong increases in value not just because they are rare, but because they are fun. And it isn't just the early Pierces and Locos that are fetching astronomical prices. Overlands, Maxwells and, yes, even Saxons are doing well. There is nothing like driving down a country road with fellow HCCA'ers at 25 mph. Early Franklins are rare. Try to find one.

Try brass car touring some day, including one and two cylinder cars, and you'll see what all the excitement is about. Brass cars are showing strong increases in value not just because they are rare, but because they are fun. And it isn't just the early Pierces and Locos that are fetching astronomical prices. Overlands, Maxwells and, yes, even Saxons are doing well. There is nothing like driving down a country road with fellow HCCA'ers at 25 mph. Early Franklins are rare. Try to find one.

I agree with everything said  above. I thought we were talking about mid 1920s Franklins. HCCA club is for Pre 1916 Cars and trucks. I appreciate all Franklins ,just don't see the subject car mentioned above as a "Good Deal".  Just my opinion , and not an authority.

It's such a shame that the cars from 1916 to 1928, more or less, get such bad press.

There were a lot of great cars made in those years, and even the more mundane cars (although I'd put Franklin somewhat above mundane) were good cars.

No, they don't compare to modern cars, nor even later 30's and 40's cars, but for the time they were great transportation.

I've owned numerous cars of these "bastard" years, and some have been average, some have been exceptional.  Early Dodges aren't fast cars, but easy to drive and dependable as they can be.  One of the best earlier cars I owned was a 1917 Reo.  Once you got used to the single pedal clutch/brake, the car was a delight to drive, and what I'd call long legged....once in high, it was up to 50 or 55 mph with no problems, and smooth as silk.

A lot of early cars are disparaged because people drive worn out examples, then complain about hard steering, difficult shifting, bad brakes, and so forth.  A well sorted out early car can be a real pleasure.....

If I want to go fast I can always race iceboats or drive my Khamsin, Turbo R or WRX...not a Model T nor any of my old cars.

I never expect to buy cars as an investment...just having fun sorting and driving 'em and learning about automotive history. I never want the car to strangle me with onerous price or restoration costs. So if I walk out with a relatively unique car at a low price...I've gotten a nice car. If they perform well...then even better.

I recently refreshed a 1927 Gardner Imperial Sedan (one of three known) and will be happy to drive the 298.6ci 8 cylinder and to participate in Gardner Club events.

Here's a 1932 Franklin on ebay that I wouldn't mess with: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Packard-153-DELUXE-ROADSTER-Deluxe-Convertible-Roadster-/121816022473?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1c5cccfdc9:g:aGkAAOSwIwhWSTAy&item=121816022473

Edited by Attitude928 (see edit history)