What is it?

rocketraider

Can't read the brass plate but going by the ElCamino I'm assuming some type of 59-60 era Chevy or GM sales award? It's at an auction I frequent tomorrow night. 

AACA site said I'm not allowed to use this file extension to add the actual pic, so follow the link to see.

http://www.auctionzip.com/Full-Image/2502712/fp590.cgi

Yeah, I do clocks too, so this one would be a double find...

Turned out to be a 1964 "Truck Sales Professional" award but didn't specify a dealership. I was told it came from Danville VA which would have been Wyatt Chevrolet at that time. It has the "Mystery Clock", a lighter and cigarette box, which in those days would have been a decent award to receive.

I paid a chunk to get it but worth it. Two other folks wanted it too.

I'll have to figure out the clock. My guess is the clock motor drives a magnetic contact around the rim and that drives the minute hand. Haven't plugged it up yet. If it works, great; if not, it still looks cool and is a reminder of GM in its prime.

My grandmother had one of those clocks in the late fifties. It was called a Golden Hour clock.  The glass had a ring gear on it and was driven by an electric motor.  As the glass turned  the center piece was weighted and had a gear reduction to get the difference between the hours and minutes. It lasted a long time, fifteen years or more.