Advice on SAE 10W Motor Oil?

According to the shop manual, my '51 Dodge Coronet's Gyromatic transmission calls for 3 qts. of 10W motor oil, and if that weight oil cannot be located, 20W is "acceptable." I am the third owner of the car and I am quite certain that the tranny has never been serviced in the past 65 years. The seals are all starting to leak. I am planning to drain and reseal everything, however I am having a difficult time finding 10W oil in smaller quantities. So far all I have been able to come up with is a 5 gl. container for $68.00 from a tractor supply store. Napa carries 30W non-detergent motor oil for $3.99 per qt. It specifies on the label that it is designed for early model cars. Due to the fact that I will be driving the car in the extreme Florida heat, I was thinking that non-detergent 30W might be a better option for me to use anyway. I was hoping to get some feedback from other fellow flat head six, gyromatic owners. Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Yeah I checked O'Reilly's, as well as all the other auto stores in my area but to no avail. I was able to find a tractor supply store that carried a 2 gl. container of non-detergent 10W for $28.00. The only problem was that I had to drive 29 miles to get there! At least now I will be able to use the correct specified oil for the transmission. Well anyway, that quantity oughta hold me for a while.

Guest Bob Call

Chrysler used SAE 10W for everything. Your transmission probably holds 3 pints not quarts. The fluid coupling holds several quarts. Buy the 2 gallon container.  Or, you may use TDH ISO 32 fluid which you can get a Tractor Supply Company. It is very nearly the same viscosity as SAE 10W. 

If you don't have a shop manual for your Dodge, get one. Chrysler used SAE 10W for transmissions, power steering, fluid couplers, engine oil and torque converters.

Yeah I checked O'Reilly's, as well as all the other auto stores in my area but to no avail. I was able to find a tractor supply store that carried a 2 gl. container of non-detergent 10W for $28.00. The only problem was that I had to drive 29 miles to get there! At least now I will be able to use the correct specified oil for the transmission. Well anyway, that quantity oughta hold me for a while.

If one O'Reilly had it as commented above, then any other O'Reilly can certainly order it in.