Question on the 16 valve

pcain

Every time I try to get parts for the DOHC car, I run into road blocks.  I would like to know from the people who have worked on these cars, how you keep them running.

I looked through the old postings for the 16 valve engine, many of them are years old.  What options are available now, for normal maintenance parts .

I am afraid to go on a long trip with this car for fear of getting somewhere.  Any help or advice would be appreciated.  Thanks

You can get anything you need pretty much still, except bearings for the bottomend. The head gasket is nothing special, you can use a standard felpro 25$ gasket. The intake and exhaust gaskets can be purchased. The intermediate shaft and oil pump are nothing special. The timing belt, well, its not easy to come by. The valve cover gasket and tube seals cab be purchased from turbos unleashed i believe. Rebuilt turbo also available from them.

Edited by 89TC-16V (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Specifically you can't get the rod bearings. The main bearings are the same as the 8V engine. However, if you contact Rick Diogo (RDI) he can help  most likely. He also can help with the valve lash pucks and many other parts in the head.

The head gasket is specific to the Maserati 16V engine. It is NOT the same as ANY of the other headgaskets.

Timing belt can be had fairly easily, actually. The timing belt tensioner pulley is unique to the Maserati 16V engine as well. True factory parts are rare to come across. There are modified ones available, however I have recently seen their longevity being questioned. I haven't looked hard enough at mine to see if it could possibly be rebuilt.

What are some things you might be interested in or concerned about?

So where does one find the parts that wear out, and need replacement, the car is 25 yrs old.  I am thinking about things that are not easily made.  Like hoses, distributor cap rotor, ignition wires, valve cover gasket, and some of the fuel injection components.  It seems when I look for parts for that engine, 90% of the time they are wrong or unavailable. How about the water pump, is it the same as the 8 valve? Does the timing belt change, from the early build engine to the later build? I know some of the head components change like the valve lash pucks. Is the engine serial number a good way to figure which engine build it has? Chrysler said, the valve lash pucks change at serial # 01083, but they have been wrong about many things with regards to this car. 

I was also looking for some input on how to get more hp out of the engine, without spending a ridiculous amount of money?

I did find a place called Parts Geek, that has some parts listed for the 16 valve car.

So where does one find the parts that wear out, and need replacement, the car is 25 yrs old.  I am thinking about things that are not easily made.  Like hoses, distributor cap rotor, ignition wires, valve cover gasket, and some of the fuel injection components.  It seems when I look for parts for that engine, 90% of the time they are wrong or unavailable. How about the water pump, is it the same as the 8 valve? Does the timing belt change, from the early build engine to the later build? I know some of the head components change like the valve lash pucks. Is the engine serial number a good way to figure which engine build it has? Chrysler said, the valve lash pucks change at serial # 01083, but they have been wrong about many things with regards to this car. 

I was also looking for some input on how to get more hp out of the engine, without spending a ridiculous amount of money?

I did find a place called Parts Geek, that has some parts listed for the 16 valve car.

Are you in the TC America club? Then you would be getting the newsletter quarterly and find members there qualified to talk with you and advise you if only you would call them.

• Like 1

Guest BobFitz

Good thing I'm NOT left handed, I couldn't afford that special screwdriver! LOL

The muffler bearings are cheap though................