Marmon Purchase Advice

Akstraw

Hello,

I am considering purchasing a 1922 Marmon project car to restore. I am an experienced restorer with cars from brass era thru the sixties. Any advice on the Marmon in particular? Things to look for, missing hard-to-find parts, other considerations? Thank you in advance.

Andrew

Thanks for your reply, and your vote of confidence. Of course, each make and model of car has its quirks and idiosyncrasies. I understand the Marmons have aluminum engine blocks, and am wondering how these hold up over time as I don't have much experience with them. In particular, are there modes of corrosion that can occur in the aluminum over long periods (20-40 years) of disuse? Do the engines wear as well as cast iron, and can they be readily bored and refitted with bearings and other wear parts when necessary? Perhaps there are some other particulars worthy of inspection.

Good cars.  Aluminum crankcase with 2 steel jugs each with 3 bores and cast head.  No water in the crankcase but the aluminum waterpumps were sacrifical.  

They can be converted to insert bearings and pistons can be made.  Impressive engine for the time.   

Gravity  fuel tank so you have to open/close fuel petcock and adding fuel is a pain.  Dumb is a better word.  Open the hood and add fuel over the hot engine.  

Fun to drive with a great easy steering feel.