help with damper rod stuck

37buick

Probably the easiest way is to take a look at the position of the rod and spring assy.  IIRC if it's pointing to about 1 or 2 o'clock you are good. This assumes someone has not twisted the crap out of it trying to loosen it.

The other way is to remove the exhaust pipe at the bottom and look up with a mirror. If your bolts haven't been off in a while you may have a bit of a challenge but they will come loose, or break. Replace with stainless steel and use anti-seize.

Cheers, Dave

Edited by Daves1940Buick56S (see edit history)

Thanks Dave ! the counterweight already broke lol !! but im gonna have to make a move here , or take it apart from the bottom as u recommended or else , but im gonna check for position first . also nobody has the parts like coil , shaft or counterweight. I call bobs and cars. well lets see . tx for all help !!!!

Wow... Just took the exhaust off from bottom of valve body. Bolts were loose. Now : the butter fly was stuck from driver side at bottom and to passenger going to top. Is that clear ? from the passenger seat at 7: 10 o'clock. Yes that's it!!!! Was that bad ? Is that open or closed ? The butterfly is loose but not the shaft. So I guess I'm cutting off somehow. And maybe that's what was causing the car not to go over 35 mph I was posted a fee months ago ??? Thanks for all you help. Are you going to Hershey Dave? Will be nice to meet !!

The counterweight must look inside, in direction to the engine block, then the flapper are closed and the exhaust stream DONT can heat up the intake above it.

At my its the same, they (Compound Carburetion) are frozen in the closed,"warm" position and i let it like it is.

If the flappers are stuvk in the "cold" position the problem could be that your fuel goes too hot and cooking while engine is hot.

I apologize for the confusion.  I looked back to my first post and I said "open" when I should have said "closed." In the open position the bottom of the valve flapper (looking up from the bottom) will be nearer to the block, directing the exhaust up next to the bottom of the intake manifold to warm it before routing over and down the exhaust pipe. In the closed position the valve flapper will be away from the engine block, routing the exhaust directly down into the pipe. it sounds like yours is OK in the closed position. Mine is the same. With today's gasolines it isn't really necessary unless you are trying to drive it in Alaska in the dead of winter.

Cheers, Dave

so what would cause the damage to valves will be the return of exhaust ? IF THATS THE CASE , REMOVING THE FLAPPER IS NOT A GOOD IDEA ? BUT THE FLAPPER CLOSED AT ALL TIMES WILL NOT PREVENT ME TO GO OVER HIGHER SPEEDS ?

37, lets get specific here. IF you are speaking of the "damper valve" in the outlet of the exhaust manifold, just before exiting into the exhaust pipe, listen up. The car will run fine in either position!! There is no "open"  or "closed" . It is designed to divert the hot exhaust on to the bottom of the intake manifold beneath the carb. .This is/was to assist in the vaporization of the gas at start up in cold weather. As the temps came up, the spring, on the outside, started to relax allowing the damper/valve to change the direction of the exhaust away from the bottom of the carb. The weight of the weight helped this to happen. If the damper/valve is stuck in the diverting to carb position, the carb MIGHT become hotter than necessary, but probably not noticed at driving speed, depending on conditions. If stuck in the "bypass" position, the carb COULD ice up until engine is up to operating temp, depending on conditions.  The speed should not be affected in either position.

Hope this helps.

Ben