Windshield seal and moulding

gdcont

post-86836-0-17604800-1442373063_thumb.j

My Lincoln is back from the body shop 2 years and 4 days. Above is the before and after. Now comes the fun part reinstalling what I took off and what the body shop removed. 

My question is about the windshield seal and how it is installed. It looks like it goes around the windshield glass and then butts up to the windshield opening and is held in place by the windshield trim inside the car. Is that true?

The chrome trim on the outside of the windshield looks like it fits in the lip that goes around the opening. There appears to be a channel in the trim for it to slip into. This was taken off at the body shop and I'm not sure if I have it figure out correctly. Thanks for any help. George. 

The chrome trim is pushed on the edge of the opening before the glass. Joint is at the top center. Small clip covers the joint. The rubber seal is installed on the glass and then installed in the car. A welt the color of the leather goes around the molding and then the screwa are installed thru the molding. It takes time and help is a great asset. Good luck. Lee

George,

I replaced the windshield on my '37 and yes it is a pain to change one out and as is written above, the rubber goes on the glass first and then the whole enchilada goes into the car's frame and is held in place by the trim. Conventional thinking of course tells you to do the rope trick where the rubber gasket goes over the body framework and it held in place that way. It seems like a terrible design and wished it could be done an easier way.

By the way the body work for the pictures looks just fantastic! Good luck.

Thanks for the replies. That was the way I thought it went. I just wanted to be sure I don't want to scratch the paint installing it incorrectly and then having to take it apart. 

I've owned the car for 34 years, registered and driven all of them except the last two. I want to get it back together and drive it before I have to put it away. Thanks again and I'll post more pictures as more complete it gets. George,

Mine went in as described, from the inside. A 2x4 wrapped on the end with rubber sheeting supported the windshield - the other end I wedged against the opening for the transmission cowl to hold it in place while I messed with the upholstery and installed the molding. The window shop supplied a goopy black sealant to seal the rubber to the body which seems to keep the water out. As I recall I had some trouble getting it past the welting around the door openings, but managed it without any breakage. Those suction cups they use with large windows and a spare set of hands would make it a lot easier.