Favorite scenic place to photograph vehicles!?

Name your favorite spot to take pics of your vehicles!
(A friend snapped this scenic photo near his home.)

&, from this sign outside a place in Montana, inside or outside?

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"I'm not scared now" __ Seether __ 'Fine Again'

Guest LuxDriver

My opinion .. The car should be in a setting where it's natural to see such a car.. Convert on the beach, formal sedan going in gates of an Estate.. While beautful scenes from a top a cliff watching the tide come in is great and might work for lots of cars, it's like better suited to a sporty car than and Open Front Town Car.. which might work better sitting curbside at Cartiers.

To me a perfect picture is a well choosen backdrop for the subject vehicle. I prefer days when it just rained that while sunny there, so are the clouds.. Makes for great contrast in colors and an interesting cloud pattern. Dusk and dawn work nicely while there's enough light .. The color of the light is warmer and usually flattering ..then also alway consider the color of the car and the best angles to feature it.. Get the money shots then play with different images.

As you recall most Cadillacs were artists renderings for years, then Im guessing like 1969 or so ( Im sure I'll be corrected) they started introducing photos.. But if you look let's say at 61 ,one of my favorite brochures, ( recently MKZ brochure did a nice job too) there is ..if my memory hasn't faded too much....an evening shot of a 60 Special with the door open and just dash lights on.. That image would make me want the car. Make the viewer want the car!

I actually like photographing my cars in cemeteries.  Now obviously if its an old hearse, the setting is entirely appropriate, but I enjoy photographing my more "normal" cars there as well.  Living in a major urban area as I do, unobstructed scenic backgrounds are hard to come by.  There are some forest preserves around, but they are forest preserves, so shadows can be a problem, and having trees being the background doesn't always suit the car.  I understand that headstones aren't necessarily a desired background either, but if its a newer cemetery with a green burial or natural burial section, you would never know that the finished photo was taken in a cemetery.  Even if the cemetery has a modern area consisting of all flat in-the-ground markers, you could play with angles to get an image where they don't show.

post-113730-0-09163000-1440180998_thumb.

post-113730-0-66591500-1440181033_thumb.

post-113730-0-90599100-1440181076_thumb.

post-113730-0-04117000-1440181098_thumb.

• Like 1

dan ... you've a GORGEOUS car!

LD ... I have a pic of a former car that I took just after it rained.  I was in a forest preserve-type area.  When the sun came out, the colors just danced across everything ... & I quickly snapped a few photos.  That was before I had digital, so the pics are in an album.  But, simply breathtaking, at least, imo.

superior ... kinda like those cemetery pics!  I don't think I could live in a city; I much prefer the "suburbs" or country areas where you can see for miles ... or get to somewhere close that you can see for miles. ;)

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"Keep this feelin' alive" __ Eric Carmen __ 'Make Me Lose Control'
  • Like 1

Guest LuxDriver

Superior nice pics.. though I prefer of those first and third for layout and background.. I also know of a 70 Caddy hearse near my place sitting on a farm. Interested?? It's sitting there melting should go to s good home.. There's also a 70s Buick I think around not too far from me..on Craigs

Dimon International Tobacco Company's local headquarters flew flags of all countries they did business in on a plaza in front of the HQ building. The combination of flags, a cobblestoned street and an elegant building made a great car picture shoot location. Friend actually duplicated a Fitzpatrick 1964 Pontiac Grand Prix ad at the flag plaza.

Even after Dimon closed and the city took over ownership of their campus as part of a downtown revitalization, a local college rented it from the city and continued to fly those international flags.

Unfortunately- a flap over display of an historically correct Confederate flag at a local museum prompted our genius city council to enact an ordinance that allows only US, Virginia, city and POW-MIA flags to fly on city-owned property.

So- as the Dimon campus is now city-owned, all the international flags came down and we no longer have our perfect picture shoot.

Then lo and behold- someone asked why the international flags were coming down. Seems that in their zeal to erase an "offending" symbol from the actual Last Capitol of the Confederacy's grounds, no one on city council had thought about their new ordinance's effect on those. There goes that law of unintended consequences again.

Remains to be seen whether the international flags (and great photo shoot location) will be put back while Council cleans the egg off its face.