1942 60S For Sale Question

Hudsy Wudsy

I've just come across a '42 60 S for sale on Craigslist - Northern WI, and I thought I'd post it in case someone here would have an interest. I have a question about it, though. It has a whole lot of applied trim on it which I'm sure is probably original, and consistent with just about all '42 cars in general, but what about those landau bars? They're so excessive, could Cadillac have possibly installed those at the factory? I couldn't find many pictures on the internet.

http://northernwi.craigslist.org/cto/5089162895.html

00V0V_a5JsDnwD7K6_600x450.jpg

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

I'd say those landau irons and the vertical chrome strips next to them, and on fenders, were someone's idea of class, and they added them.

They really don't add any visual appeal to the car. Class doesn't always mean to add more chrome, and most often it means add less....

Any 1942 automobile is an unusual find, looks like a nice car other than the bling......

The thing about it is, though, that he states in his ad that the "vertical chrome strips were only featured on the '42 60s". It's all a bit much, by my standards, but the 1942 model year in general was all about copious amounts of stainless and chrome on all makes of American cars. The addition of the landau bars is where it seems to get downright surreal. I wonder if any of you have a big old Crestline book that you might take a look in and confirm that Cadillac really put those there?

The only add on is the landau bars.  The vertical strips on the bottoms of the fenders and the slanted ones on the roof are 100% original and authentic for 1942.  The car does have the incorrect drivers side mirror though.   The materials used to redo the interior look wrong as well.  I think 24K is a little strong for that car.  I'm thinking more like 15K - 17K.   

Edited by K8096 (see edit history)

Thanks for your thoughts on that. I just couldn't believe that Cadillac could have possibly installed those. I'm reminded of my complaint recently, In another thread, about how people these days don't just stop at gilding the lily, but go on to obscure the lily with still more excesses.

On another thread we recently discussed the heck out of the '42 Olds styling debacle. It's always been amusing to me to ponder where Detroit stylists were headed with all of the 1942's chrome and stainless before we took time out for war.