Replacement coil for DA6

I m looking for a replacement coil for my DA 6 engine. It has the positive ground system. Not sure it makes a difference what the ground is.

I saw a thread for a 28 chev and it stated either O Reily part BWD E5 or Napa part IC7 would work. It did mention these were non resistor type coils.

Are either correct? If not, got any other information what worked for you.

I have a ford coil and it is getting very hot at times.

Don't have knowledge of trucks (only sedans) but would think it very unlikely you would have a ballast resistor, therefore you would need a "non resistor" type coil. Have never seen a 6 Volt vehicle with a ballast resistor, but that does not mean they don't exist. DA Sedan certainly does not have one. So any 6 Volt coil, non resistor, should do. They are NOT designed specifically for positive or negative earth vehicles, but it DOES matter how they are connected. For negative earth vehicles, connect the ignition switch wire to the + terminal on coil, - terminal to distributor points.

For positive earth, connect the switch wire to the - terminal and the + terminal to the distributor points. It MAY run if you get it wrong (an old Chev we were working on recently did), but not as well, as output voltage of coil will be less than it should be.

John

Thanks Keiser, be a lot better when its finished!!.

Over lunch I have been going over auto transformer theory in my head. Now I have just confused myself. The connection information I posted above came from a Bosch coil box, but the more I think about it the statement that they are not specifically made for positive or negative earth may be wrong.

Wish I had not commented now, but someone else may put me straight. My current thinking is that it may work, but may not give optimal performance unless you have, say, a positive earth coil in a positive earth vehicle. 

I'll go and draw myself some more diagrams !!!!!