repair dash board paint?

My dashboard is factory paint over metal..

random areas have paint gone and bare metal showing. Most spots are small than a dime in size.

Should I try to touch up the metal areas, of just leave alone. Should I apply a gloss clear coat of some kind to preserve what is left of the original? What experience have you had?

Guest Skyking

Make of car?  Some dashes can be dissasembled and remove from the car.  There's nothing better than a brand new looking dash.

Make of car?  Some dashes can be dissasembled and remove from the car.  There's nothing better than a brand new looking dash.

True.. I was trying to save what was already there....But maybe that will always look crummy. Especially if I try to spot paint it and coat with lacquer. Do you think if I want to keep it origin that I should just wax what I already have and live with it?

Ford 1934

Edited by FrankWest107 (see edit history)

If originality is your goal then you should do nothing and let it continue to deteriorate as it "originally" would have. Tomorrow's originality is different from today's originality.

Very good point! You have much wisdom! I knew a guy that has a car with interior dirty and all ripped up..To sit in the car was a nightmare, but he wanted to keep it original. Some things should be restored so that you can at least enjoy your car.

Guest Skyking

My post was if the car is restored.  If it isn't,  then yes,  leave it alone.  It will look out of place.