63 console detail

petelempert

I'm redoing the console on my 63. It's a total wreck and its the wrong color, so a full overhaul is in order. At the back of the console, near the cig lighter, there is a flat chromed, ribbed section on top. The ribbed trim basically begins 2/3 down the top of the console and wraps around the back until it reaches the courtesy light. Should the spaces in between the ribs be painted black or are they natural (chrome)? The whole ribbed pattern theme is all over the car but in some places there is paint in-between the ribs (like the exterior trim piece beneath the rear window) yet in others it is not (like the interior aluminum sleeve that surrounds the steering column). Anybody got an original console that can provide insight? Thanks in advance. PRL

Seafoam, you're like the little angel on my shoulder saying "If you go with mild pitting, you'll never forgive yourself". The little devil on my other shoulder is saying "Get over it, get the paint out and live with it". Thus the phrase, the devil is in the details. PRL

The nice thing about the paint is: If you don't like it, lacquer thinner will take it off. You can see what it looks like then decide. I'm not trying to convince you of either way, but with shadowing and available light, it's sometimes hard to tell. I had to look twice at a set of door pieces one time to tell that they were painted. Cheaper - yes. By the book - no.

post-52102-143143104476_thumb.jpg The paint option sure does cover a lot of sins. This is just a test, but you can see the painted and unpainted areas and how it masks the pitting. Obviously, it tends to darken the entire area but interestingly it matches the rear speaker grill almost exactly. The console trim is brighter and all chrome but to my eye the speaker grill does have some paint in the rib inserts. It looks plausibly factory to me. Still weighing my options. Not sure about my chances if I re-chrome (hard to get rid of all pitting in pot metal and new chrome might just make it more noticeable) and unlikely that I'll find a salvage piece that is better than mine. Thinking it over. PRL

[ATTACH=CONFIG]308175[/ATTACH] The paint option sure does cover a lot of sins. This is just a test, but you can see the painted and unpainted areas and how it masks the pitting. Obviously, it tends to darken the entire area but interestingly it matches the rear speaker grill almost exactly. The console trim is brighter and all chrome but to my eye the speaker grill does have some paint in the rib inserts. It looks plausibly factory to me. Still weighing my options. Not sure about my chances if I re-chrome (hard to get rid of all pitting in pot metal and new chrome might just make it more noticeable) and unlikely that I'll find a salvage piece that is better than mine. Thinking it over. PRL

Pete, I never thought that I would like it, but the black paint in the ribs looks really good. As you pointed out it matches the rear speaker grill. I think Buick should have done that from the factory. I say paint it

and meanwhile be on the lookout for a better piece you can swap in later, but the painted ribs definitely are more attractive than just the chrome.