1988 Reatta VIN 4532 Suede?

Regalization

Guest my3buicks

Maybe since it is a 16 way seat car - fewer had those so maybe the 16 way supply lasted further into production. The Select 60 88's had them and they were not early cars.

That is about the only explanation I can come up with. Conversely, since tan was the most common interior color, I'd have expected it would have been the first to transition to all leather, irrespective of the seat type, so I am still surprised to see one with suede at the halfway point in production.

Are there any approximate VIN breakpoints for the changeover from suede to non-suede seats? I know it differed by color, and my early(ish) 88 #1134 has suede seats (burgundy interior). I was surprised by this when I bought it as I had been of the impression the suede seats were all phased out before VIN 1000 for some reason. Maybe something I read here a long time ago that was just conjecture.

Also remember reading here that issues with the suede were reported very shorly after sales commenced and this hastened the changeover. Certainly, the cost of suede versus cowhide leather was enough of a reason to dump it without considering the wear issues.

KDirk

Dirk is correct that tan was the most used interior color and it would have been the first to switch from suede to slick leather.... from database info that happened about 901800, on early Reattas, they seemed to be pushing the 16 way seat as it was the only extra cost option, in the long run, the standard and 16 way was close to 50/50. Anyones guess how this late car shows up with suede.

The suede cleaning kit that I have was intended for VIN #1394. According to the letter from Buick inside, these kits were supposed to be given to owners with the suede interiors to combat cleaning issues they were experiencing.

My kit was in our car when my dad bought it new. Guess the dealer had never bothered to find and give it to its rightful owner, so "tossed it in" ours to get rid of it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=138654&d=1300423823

attachment.php?attachmentid=138652&d=1300422629

Guest my3buicks

Maybe this car came with standard seats and they wanted 16 way and swapped with a Reatta sitting in inventory