question re 2nd gen

rocky5517

The correct name for the part is "vacuum reservoir". These "tomato cans" were

used in various places on GM cars in the sixties, being replaced by black plastic reservoirs in the

early 70's. My 70 Chevelle SS has a can just like that under the hood for the A/C controls. It keeps

the vacuum motors in the correct position when under hard acceleration and the vacuum on the engine drops to zero. Curiously, the vacuum reservoir on the 65 Riviera for the A/C controls was plastic not a tin can.

I've always wondered why. On the same car the vacuum reservoir for the vacuum trunk release was a tin can. The mother of all vacuum reservoirs can be found on my 69 GTO.

It is a vacuum reserve for the hideaway headlights and is about five inches in diameter

and a foot long. It is a tin can.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

What is the correct name for that vacuum can, and does anyone have a clean one for sale?

Thx[ATTACH=CONFIG]299945[/ATTACH]

Where is this mounted? It looks like it is under the floorboard? Most were mounted under the hood but on my 69 it is inside the driver side fender and a real pain to get at.

Pat

It's mounted low on the firewall, driver's side. Access would be from underneath unless you've got real long arms, which I don't. Should have grabbed it when the car was up on the lift during trans work. And yes, I have another one, black plastic, drivers side, down low also.

Thx Pat