Babbit inserts and cleaning the engine?

George Rohrbach

I need to clean out an old straight 8 engine block that has babbit insert type cam bearings. Everything else down to the bare block. <BR> Does anyone know if they can be left in to "hot tank" the engine? <BR> I hate to take them out and ruin them, as I don't think they are available, and if they were, the block would need to be line bored.<BR> Thanks,

I think that your bearings will not survive the hot tank process. The bearings will need replacement. <BR>Just my 2 cents! frown.gif" border="0frown.gif" border="0frown.gif" border="0

Hot tanking will completely dissolve your bearings, use a high pressure hot water jet cleaning system instead. They do a very good job that will not destroy the bearings. Most shops have converted to this type of cleaning system here in Canada due to the toxic disposal problem hot tanks present, finding a hot tank here is very difficult nowadays.

The new way to go is to have your blocked baked. I don't know the exact temperatures used, but everything is removed. My block looked like a new casting when I got it back. This is NOT the way to clead a babbit block,that you want to keep the babbit, but fine for all other cast iron blocks. They shot peen it after it cools off. Paint it quickly to prevent rust.<p>[ 03-17-2002: Message edited by: 1937hd45 ]

I know that the con rods and main journals were babbited but don't think the cam shaft berings were, they were an insert type. Only one problem, when I had my straight cleaned in a heated tank, shop had a problem getting block into tank. It came out looknig like a new block, gets all the rust inside the water jackets.<BR>If you have a small series motor, and can't locate cam berings let me know I have a new set for sale.They will fit 40-50 series from<BR>1936 to 1953 40 series, and from 1940 to 1953<BR>40 & 50 series.<P>Jim Schilf / palbuick@aol.com

Guest stude8

I guess I'll ask the dumb question, "A straight 8 what?" If it is a Studebaker I don't think the well meaning guy with Buick bearings can help.<BR>If it is a Studebaker President it will be a problem to get it into a shot tumbling machine due to size(39" long) and the oven bake routine will definitely melt out the Babbit shells left in the block. I'll comment that a smaller Champion 6 engine I saw after the bake and shake treatment looked like it was nickle plated, simply beautiful. Remember though that factory block castings were painted internally with "Glyptol" to seal porosity. If you detox the engine and remove it it will be prone to rust and scaling in the future.<BR>When the shop did my 1930 President block we elected to just use high pressure water base hot detergent. It came out quite clean and the cam bearings were left in place. They have worked well for 900 plus miles now.<BR>Stude8

Thanks for all the advice.<BR>It is a '35 Studebaker engine. I'll take all the answers under advisement!<BR> Problem it has set around for a very long time, and the water passages are really gunked up,and rusted. <BR> I just talked to a local shop that says they may be able to take out the cam inserts and save them, as they say nothing will help with the passages except stuff that would ruin the bearings. I'll let you all know how I make out.<BR> Thanks again..

• 1 month later...

Thought you might like to know that the machine shop told me that they were able to drive out the cam bearings without damage.<BR> They have some sort of a driver that they can change the size on.<BR> George Rohrbach<p>[ 04-24-2002: Message edited by: George Rohrbach ]