TV Game show

Guest exbcmc

Guest exbcmc
What two things does Lincoln, Pontiac, Cadillac, and Oldsmobile have in common from 1949 to 1954

V8 engines?

55 Pontiac, they kept it for several years but I believe eventually changed to the conventional setup.

Yes, the reverse flow cooling appeared on the 1955 287 V-8, the 1956 316.6 V-8, the 1957 347 V-8, the 1958 370 V-8 and the first year of the 389 V-8 1959.

V8 engines?

They all use the same GM Hydramatic division's automatic transmission, first the original "D" type HydraMatic, and from 1952 the Dual range "D" type HydraMatic

First used by Packard I believe in 1949 or 1950. The patent expired long ago.
Yes, but do you know the engineer that had the patent?

Guest exbcmc
They all use the same GM Hydramatic division's automatic transmission, first the original "D" type HydraMatic, and from 1952 the Dual range "D" type HydraMatic

Crap, I knew that.

The original VW's design that went into production was designed by Franz Reimspiess in 1937. The engine is known as the "E" motor. This engine architecture would last in the deluxe model to August of 1960, and in the standard model and "A" sedan until August of 1965. Most people simply know the last version of this engine as a 1200cc 36hp engine. The differences between the 1200 36hp and the 1200cc 40hp and later engine is the location of the fuel pump and also the 36 hp and earlier engines have a engine case where the generator stand is cast into the rt side of the engine case. All newer engines the generator stand is a separate piece and is bolted to the case by four bolts. I have a 65 "A" sedan with it's #'s matching engine. See the link;

click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_14257513231996&key=9b4efad421c8b103b2c94b796db973b0&libId=i6zbj1900100zvpz000DA8l1wovaa&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thesamba.com%2Fvw%2Fforum%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D336263%26start%3D220&subId=d106eaff06024b83dc3a0e1c376d8891&v=1&out=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.thesamba.com%2Fvw%2Fgallery%2Fpix%2F516081.jpg&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thesamba.com%2Fvw%2Fforum%2Fviewforum.php%3Ff%3D2&title=TheSamba.com%20%3A%3A%20View%20topic%20-%201966%20European%20Standard%2C%20what%20was%20OG&txt=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.thesamba.com%2Fvw%2Fgallery%2Fpix%2F516081.jpg

According to this they were working on the engine since 1931 and the inventor was Edmund Rumpler. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Beetle#Development.

Also, the basic design was produced from 1938 until 2003. Prototypes were being developed as early as 1931. Dandy Dave!

Here you go....did Hydramatics have "park" and "if so" where on the shifter?

Early HydraMatic "D" type 1940-1951 and dual range 1952-1956 in C-O-P cars had a parking paw that when the engine was shut off when the selector was in Reverse range locked the trans up. Controlled Coupling or dual coupling 4 speed HydraMatic used in Cadillac from 1956-1964, Pontiac from 1956 to 1964 and Oldsmobile from 1956 - 1960 ALL had the park position on the shift selector. FYI this trans is known by Cadillac as 315 or P315 HydraMatic, Pontiac as first Strato Flight HydraMatic and from 1959 to 1964 as Super HydraMatic, Oldsmobile known as Jetaway HydraMatic. Pontiac also uses the park position on Roto HydraMatic 1961-1964 Catalina, Ventura, Grand Prix models. Oldsmobile uses Roto HydraMatic on all it's full size cars from 1961-64 and Roto Hydramatic model 5 ( small version of Roto ) on 61-63 F-85 and Cutlass. HydraMatic's past that like ST 300, T 400, T 350, T 375 etc. etc. etc. all have the park position. Pontiac also uses the park position on Tempestorque HydraMatic transaxle from 1961 to 1963 on Tempest, Tempest Custom and Tempest LeMans.

According to this they were working on the engine since 1931 and the inventor was Edmund Rumpler. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Beetle#Development.

Also, the basic design was produced from 1938 until 2003. Prototypes were being developed as early as 1931. Dandy Dave!

The final design over about five different designs went to Franz Reimsspiess. The engine architecture drastically changed from the original "E" motor when the 40 hp engine came out in August of 1960 (1961 model year start ) but was left unchanged on the standard model ( which were never exported to the U.S. ) My car is a standard model or "A" Sedan and is a 65, the last year the old "E" motor was produced.

The Basic design of the 40 hp engine ( 1961 model year first year ) lasted until the demise of the Beetle, in 1200, 1300, 1500 and 1600cc forms. Interesting to note that the very last beetle produced in Germany ( Emden Plant) January 1978 was a standard model, 1200cc 40hp, with a swing axle transaxle.

Also interesting to note that Reimspiess originally was not on any of the engine development teams that were working for Porsche. Reimspiess a old friend of Porsche had in a passing conversation asked Porsche how engine development was going which was not so good ( you should have seen some of the prototypes). In a sort of joking way in passing Porsche said to Reimspiess if you have a better idea show me. Forty eight hrs. later Reimspiess had the blueprints for the "E" motor on Porsche's desk.

Reimspiess is one of those people you hardly ever hear about. Everyone knows the Porsche 9 series, did you know he designed the suspension for the 911 and it's brothers and cousins. He retired form Porsche AG in 1966

Trivia question what was the 911's original designation and why was it changed?

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

The final design over about five different designs went to Franz Reimsspiess. The engine architecture drastically changed from the original "E" motor when the 40 hp engine came out in August of 1960 (1961 model year start ) but was left unchanged on the standard model ( which were never exported to the U.S. ) My car is a standard model or "A" Sedan and is a 65, the last year the old "E" motor was produced.

The Basic design of the 40 hp engine ( 1961 model year first year ) lasted until the demise of the Beetle, in 1200, 1300, 1500 and 1600cc forms. Interesting to note that the very last beetle produced in Germany ( Emden Plant) January 1978 was a standard model, 1200cc 40hp, with a swing axle transaxle.

OK.. I dove a little deeper and it seems Edmond

Also interesting to note that Reimspiess originally was not on any of the engine development teams that were working for Porsche. Reimspiess a old friend of Porsche had in a passing conversation asked Porsche how engine development was going which was not so good ( you should have seen some of the prototypes). In a sort of joking way in passing Porsche said to Reimspiess if you have a better idea show me. Forty eight hrs. later Reimspiess had the blueprints for the "E" motor on Porsche's desk.

Reimspiess is one of those people you hardly ever hear about. Everyone knows the Porsche 9 series, did you know he designed the suspension for the 911 and it's brothers and cousins. He retired form Porsche AG in 1966

Trivia question what was the 911's original designation and why was it changed?

OK, You win. I dove a little deeper and see that Edmund Rumpler actually invented the swinging axle/trans/Suspension combination much earlier than the people car was even thought of.. Seems the poor fellow was Jewish and that landed him in one of Hitler's camps. He should have come over here and hung out with the Wright Brothers. I can't say on this website what I think of the Nazi henchmen. I would be band forever even if 99.99% agreed with me. Dandy Dave!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_Rumpler

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

Guest exbcmc
What is the 'R' ?

Jack, come on down, you are the winner. My dad was backing his 53 Olds down our long driveway, when it stalled. He swore the car jumped three feet sideways....my grandpa had a 52 Olds parked in our driveway, slight downhill. The curious kid I was, I jumped in and moved the lever from R, which was all the way down. The car rolled out into the street and I got one of best spankings of my young life.

911 Porsche was originally 901, named for the job number of its design. The name, or number, was changed because Peugeot had already copyrighted all the 3 digit numbers with 0 in the middle.

Did Studebaker have the starter connected to the clutch pedal? They offered the Bendix Startix system that automatically started the engine and restarted if it stalled but I believe that was an option?