Non-vacuum fuel pump for 322/264

1956century

Hi all,

I was wondering if a fuel pump for a 364/401/etc. (or any other pump for that matter) would bolt up to a 322. I'd like to do away with my electric fuel pump and have no need for the vacuum portion of the original mechanical pump. The 1957+ pump can be hand for $25.

Thanks

The later pump 'might' work on a 322 if you changed the timing cover...otherwise the mount is upside down. Easiest to install the original pump and just not use the vacuum part. You might find a single stage pump like the 322 chevy truck one and change the arm. An electric pump should serve well unless you have a &^%$# Airtex pump :(

Willie

The later pump 'might' work on a 322 if you changed the timing cover...otherwise the mount is upside down. Easiest to install the original pump and just not use the vacuum part. You might find a single stage pump like the 322 chevy truck one and change the arm. An electric pump should serve well unless you have a &^%$# Airtex pump :(

Willie

Yep, the Airtex pump failed on me. I bought a Carter, but would rather go with a mechanical pump and use the electric to prime.

Would it be possible to mount the later pump upside down? I believe that's how the truck pump was mounted on the 322 (pot facing up).

Edited by 1956century (see edit history)

I went through all that a few years ago for my 51 F-1 with the 55 nailhead. I even bought the later pump and there was no way to make it work. I considered one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mechanical-Fuel-Pump-Spectra-SP1079MP-fits-55-57-Chevrolet-Bel-Air-4-3L-V8-/271771408804?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1955%7CMake%3AChevrolet&hash=item3f46d699a4&vxp=mtr

and change the arm to a 55, but I found the chevy truck 322 pump instead (it was rebuilt many years ago and soon failed and was rebuilt with new parts successfully, but cost over $150 before I was finished).

All of the Carter electric pump I have seen will not allow fuel to be pulled through and if used to prime, you would need to loop around the pump with a check valve.

Willie

Willie

Yep, the Airtex pump failed on me. I bought a Carter, but would rather go with a mechanical pump and use the electric to prime.

Would it be possible to mount the later pump upside down? I believe that's how the truck pump was mounted on the 322 (pot facing up).

dagum It

I've got an Airtex pump about three months ago

I haven't put it on yet....