Help from the expects needed!!

db17

I am rebuilding my steering wheel on my 1929 Dodge Sedan Standard Six. My wheel is all wood spokes and outer wheel. I removed the clips at the bottom of the steering column and lifted up the two adjustment levers that are below the horn button. There were two small screws which I also removed. I still am unable to separate the hub that holds the wooden parts of the steering wheel. The picture shows what I have, a large center tube for the smaller tube to slid in, eight rivet like anchor points. They are not slotted so they are not screws, there is no access from behind. How are they held together? Don't want to force anything. I'm sure someone knows the trick.

Please Help!! and Thanks!!

post-80535-143142932695_thumb.jpg

post-80535-143142932666_thumb.jpg

Hello db17 Your Wheel appears to be the same as on the 2249 Senior I was able to get mine off by loosening the nut so that it sat level with the top of the tube Then with my knees jamed behind the wheel applying upward preasure sat a hard wood block on the nut and gave it three wacks with the hammer and it came loose on the taper Take care not to loose the small key Ron

Thanks Ron for your reply.

Did you have the entire column off the car. So to fully understand, at the factory the wheel must of been pressed on on a downward motion and locked into place with a key. So not to have to remove the entire column. If I do the reverse of what you did and in a guarded and gentle way strike the steering wheel from below in and upward fashion, the wheel should pop off. Please correct me if I'm heading the wrong way.

Thanks Again!!

No Mate The hard wood bock is used so that the nut and the thread on the tube do not get damaged If you whack it from underneath the escutchion will be toasted That is why upward preasure is applied before whacking the block of wood The reason the nut is not taken all the way off is so the sharp top of the tube will not cut into the hard wood block If you wreck it I have a Hub with 4 good spokes but the rim is not original and it is available Ron

On several old car forums I am on, a common problem is members posting threads with nothing in the title to give any hint to what the substance is. I have seen "help please", "what do I do now", "can you help me", and these titles make searching for future help difficult. I encourage all posters to be specific in what the thread is looking for advice on, such as " '29 Dodge Steering Wheel". This will also ensure you are more likely to get a response.

I understand and agree with what you are saying, will be more specific in the future. Thanks!!

Have not been able to remove the steering wheel yet. I'll be removing the steering column off the car next and try it again.