martinez8

1954 Pontiac Chieftain newbie!

I pretty much was able to move every single one of them without any force literally back and forth, Plastigauge most likely will give some answers!

I thank you very much for all the input to my questions, learning thru every word from your replays!

Will keep you posted! Drained the oil yesterday and it sure looked like a roof tar! There was quite a bit of sludge in a oil pan and filtering system was half way clogged as well! Had to do all this on my back under the car on the jacks and my nose against the frame! :cool: Got a lot of paperwork from the previous owner, so have to make a little research to find the history about the car to have some knowledge how it was maintained and serviced!

Mart.

Just persevere, I admire your energy especially when you were talking about lying on your back as it brings back memories. Use large pieces of cardboard to lie down on to insulate yourself from the floor. Keep us posted.

Removed the oil pan and Holy Molly, whatever it was in there, if i would be close enough to it, most likely it would have bitten me! I had to drag the damn thing out with the force! Seems that engine has been rebuild at one point and whatever fell in oil pan was left there and the pan and filter looked like they have never been cleaned in 60 years. Found one connecting rod bolt and two split valve retainers in the sludge which literally stretched as a chewing gum! Gas tank was cleaned and sealed most likely by previous owner, so no worries just fuel sending unit was about to fall apart! Toke the fuel pump apart and it sits in a solvent now! There was a tag on it with writing CaPac Rebuilt 9630R and on the other hand inside of the pump housing was the number 5623105 the first can also be S....trying to figure out which number to go by here. It is with the glass bowl so, must be correct pump for the 1954 model! Hopefully next week will hear the sound of the "Black Diamond".....had to come up with the proper name to her!

FYI, Pontiac division said the filter did not need to be cleaned between engine rebuilds !

number 9630 is the GM AC division part number for that fuel pump, 53-54 Pontiac six cylinder, Pontiac's part number was 5592657, most parts rebuilders then would use the AC number with something added.

charles l. coker

1953 Pontiac tech advisor

tech advisor coordinator

poci

Hi Charles!

So the 9630 was for the 6-cyl...i have the 8 cyl. Did the Pontiac use the same pump on both engines at the time or six cylinder model pump was installed by somebody between me and the factory? And also i have the other Chieftain (as for parts), i removed the garburator, disassembled it and everything matches with Carter WCD except casting number on the throttle body which says 1-1148. (there is some strange differences on the throttle body)I have been thru many pages and catalogs and cannot trace that number for some reasonas to Pontiac at the time!

Your help is greatly appreciated!

PS. I have been reading your posts about your Catalina and taking some serious notes while building mine!

Not a copy cat, just learning from the man with wisdom!

Thank you!

Mart

Hi Everyone - New to this forum, as I am pursuing a local mystery/legend. The attached photo is an image of a vehicle at the center of a ghost story. It is purportedly the wreckage of an automobile that met its doom when a careless husband failed to take his vehicle out of gear while stepping out to take a photo from a cliff. According to the legend, his wife and child suffered an untimely death when the car proceeded to roll over the edge, and the vehicle has remained at the bottom of the cliff since. There is a detailed ghost story surrounding this artifact, but no one seems to know any facts in the case. 

I am following up on multiple leads in this story. But first: can anyone on this forum confirm our suspicion that this is a 1954 Pontiac Chieftain? If it is, where would we locate the VIN? We believe finding the VIN would provide additional leads.

Thank you for your help!

Screen Shot 2016-07-27 at 1.25.33 PM.png

There is a bright metal VIN tag about 1"x3" inside the drivers door post.  There is also a painted tag on the firewall under the hood about 2" x 3" with body info but that would require getting the hood open.  Post any numbers here and we can help you with them, Todd C