Window Mechanisms

Bill Stoneberg

Bill,<P>Fill me in a little better if you will. Do you mean mechanically, cosmetic or both. <BR>How well did they operate before you removed everything. Did they skip/jump or bind/crank hard when working them? Are your rollers in good shape? Appearance wise, what do they look like now? Good paint or rusted? What condition is the bottom glass channel, runner in?<BR>Tell me some of these and I'll be glad to help with what I can.<BR>Rick<BR>

Ron,<BR>Its my 1950 Buick woodie. They are mechanical thank goodness. I wouldn't want to deal with the Hydraluic kind.<BR>They look in fair shape, Not much rust, the rollers are worn, the channels are all straight and not rusted.<BR>They worked somewhat, kinda sticky and hard before I took them out of the doors.<BR>I was going to bead blast the mechanical parts and paint them to get them looking good. <BR>Can I replace the rollers ? Do I lubricate the assemblies ? I would think that oil etc might atract dirt and make it hard to operate down the line.<BR>Having never done a window assembly, I am at a loss.<BR>Thanks for the help.<P>Bill<P>BTW, the bottom of one of my doors was so rusted that the window came out that way. Time for a new door.

Bill,<BR>Sorry for the delay in getting back.<BR>I would not bead blast the regulators. You do not want the bead blast to enter the regulator if you not dismantling it. If they are not rusted or worn, then solvent clean the assemblies removing any or all the old hardened grease's in them. Wire wheel or sand the unit and re-paint. Re-lube the regulator and spray a sealant over the unit for moisture protection. If you feel the gear assembly has worn, then you'll need to open up the case and replace parts or the complete unit as you find it. Many of the Buick part specialties stores should stock most the parts you need as in the main shaft springs and cam rollers. If not, let me know.<P>As for your saying about being hard to operate, check if that wasn't your window division channel adjustment at the bottom and regulator cam adjustment causing that.<P>Something else to watch for when putting the windows and hardware back in your Estate Wagon is getting the correct size window channels to fit both the wood and glass. I see a few of these Ionia bodys with loose windows at the shows. You can check with Restoration Specialties in Wimber, PA. for most all these parts you'll need.<P>Rick<P>

Rick,<BR>Thanks for the information. I am still a long way from putting it together, but while I am waiting for the engine, I thought I would try this. As it turned out it was a nice weekend so my wife and I went camping.<BR>You mention Restoration Specilties, how do they compare with Steele ? LAst thing I want is loose windows, it would drive me nuts.<BR>Bill

Hi Bill<BR>I did the same thing sme time ago on my 40 buick. Dismantaled all window channel, bead blasted lightly, so as not to take all the original zink plating off. And repainted with a Stainless Steel paint, they look new.<BR>Becareful of plastic rollers, do not blast .<BR>The rollers are replaceable if you cn locate them, sometimes an old glass shop might be able to do the job. As for the window regulator don't sandblast it. New window channels are available, Cars, Bob'S Automobilia, <BR>Good luck<P>Jim Schilf / palbuick@aol.com

Bill,<P>Restoration Specialties and Supply is more of a trim hardware and supply store as not the case with Steele. Dave has most everything you'll need for window channels, fasteners and hardware. Give him a call at (814)-467-9842 and have a catalog sent to you. And as palbuick said, CARS and Bob's sell channels and are good companys to deal with also, but I feel you'll find a wider selection of sizes with Dave for a proper fit.<P>Rick