Transmission ID - Passenger or commercial?

JayG

Can anyone tell me what the transmission in the foreground was used for? It's the same case as the other one but as you can see the shift tower is very different. The one in the rear is what I normally see in 24 to early 27 cars. It has the shift lever bent down low and the lock in the rear. The shifter and brake are toward the front. The tranny in the foreground has the shift lever bent at the top and both the shift and brake lever or towards the rear.

I know what both of them came out of but I'm questioning whether the front one is maybe commercial and not passenger.

Thanks for any input on this. Jay

post-86886-143142856777_thumb.jpg

Edited by JayG
added picture (see edit history)

Hi Jay

This an easy one. The transmission in the foreground is from a pre-1924 series Dodge. The changed stick layout was to accommodate the wheelbase increase from 114 to 116 inches and the body being moved back on the chassis. As (I think) the case was changed from aluminium to cast iron for 1917 the age range would be from July 1917 to June 1923. To my knowledge there was no difference between Dodge passenger and commercial transmissions.

Tony

I have a 27 series (Sept. '26) "commercial car" (3/4 ton ). It has a heavier transmission (with no lock) than passenger cars .Consulting the Mechanics' Instruction Manual it appears that was the case until car # A875-380 (about March 1927) when cars received the same trans. as commercial cars.

Bill

Tony and Bill - Thanks for the info. The tranny in question was removed from my 25 Roadster. It looks like it was replaced at sometime in it's long life. I will install the later tranny which came out of an early 27 with the "C" motor. That will mean using the correct EBrake rod and changing the floorboards. The cutouts are for the early shift tower.

Anyone have a lock for the shift tower? I mashed mine trying to get it out.