Reatta featured in a nicely done book

KDirk

While doing some shopping the other day, I happened across a very nice coffee table book titled "American Auto Legends - Classics of Style and Design" by Michael Furman and Tracy Powell, published by Chartwell Books. Appears to be fairly new, as it was published in 2013 so I don't know if many here have seen it yet.

Lots of exceptional photos of some stunning cars - some not so well known - with writeups on the history and background of each. And imagine my pleasant surprise when the Reatta showed up on page 258. A 1990 Select Sixty is pictured along with a nice summation of the car and it's key features.

If you are looking for a well done picture book on the history of American auto styling and innovation, this is a nice volume to have. Picked it up at Kohls in the men's department (was amongst the special gift selections they bring in for Christmas) for $20 on sale and feel it was well worth it.

The Reatta being mentioned in favorable terms was an unexpected bonus. As well, it's nice to see it listed in a book along side recognized masterpieces from the likes of Kissel, Packard, Paige and Duesenberg, as well as many other GM classics from Buick, Oldsmobile, Cadillac, Lasalle, Pontiac and Chevy. I suppose it serves as some sort of validation to see my car of choice sharing space with certified legends.

The first car in the book is the 1903 Cadillac Model A and the last car featuered is the 2008 Pontiac Solstice, so it covers a full century plus. The earlier and exceedingly rare specimens of the pre-depression era get multi-page treatment, the more recent ones are generally two pages with fewer photos. All in, I was quite impressed. Put this one on your gift list.

KDirk

Guest my3buicks

When you really get looking at press coverage, articles both new and old, feature stories, future collectable publications, etc - the Reatta actually has had a pretty good past with favorable articles.

Chuck,

Single digits here last night (in outlying suburbs anyway) and it has been miserably cold (mid 20's average) for the past few days. Also had about 3" of snow a few nights ago now. Luckily, it stuck only to trees and grassy areas. Did have some black ice on the roads, but not too bad. Hope your kid who "ditched" is ok.

Saw some wrecks on TV from elsewhere (not in STL) and still marvel at how unprepared some people are for driving in winter conditions. Goofs driving full speed on snow covered roadways, and spinning out or rear ending slower moving traffic ahead of them. In this age of camera phones, the stupid and careless are frequently caught dead to rights. Let's all be careful out there.

I'd love to know who supplied the S60 for the photo in this book. It appears all the cars pictured were made available to the photographer as none appear to be stock or promotional shots. There are are a few file photos in the introduction section, the rest seem to have been shot just for this book, which was quite an undertaking.

I might add that this particular Reatta is a near perfect specimen from what I can see. Eh, maybe someday I'll add a S60 to the fleet. Maybe I'll ask Santa to drop one under the tree.

KDirk

Guest Select60

A seller on eBay has a number of copies of the book up, with "buy it now" price of $8.99 + $4.00 shipping, $12.99... a very good deal!

That is an exceptional deal. MSRP as marked was $39.99 (of course no one ever pays MSRP). Was on sale for $19.99 and I had one of the endless supply of coupons Kohls likes to send out once you are on their mailing list. $13.00 is a steal IMO for a nicely done hardcover book like this. If you like cars (and if you are here you certainly better) this is a very good "read" though the real attraction is in the many photos.

Glad I found this, as it was purely an impulse buy.

KDirk

Hey now... my impulse buys are usually in the form of an unusual and not particularly well known two seat coupe or roadster that happen to fall into my lap at distressed prices. Since I'm out of room to do that again - for now - I've had to adjust my expctations downwards a bit.

Anyway, I was buying socks, a belt and a pair of Dockers. Needed something more interesting to make the trip worthwhile. I can now consider that objective fully accomplished.

You should impulse buy a copy for yourself, Dave.

KDirk

Thanks guys I have one on order..........Kevin a detail book report would be in order for you. Anybody here making plans for Springfield?

Just got back from there and I think it is going to be a need place to be. The Reatta division could make some money if some folks volunteer. More later on that.

Chuck