Upgrade to a dual master cyl and new booster on my '63

JanZverina

Well the job is finally done, and as expected the first thing I did was nearly launch my head through the windshield when I stepped on the brakes the first few times. First, thanks to all on this forum who gave me great advice and guidance, especially to Kaber for his detailed drawings, which were of immense help to my trusted mechanic and me. I used a master cyl and booster for a '67 Riv drum/drum setup, a distribution block (Part PR106A) from Inline Tube in MI (thanks, Darren and Kaber) and the magical rubber booster seal from Booster Dewey (thanks Dewey and again, Kaber). We had to adjust the front bakes a couple times to get a less sensitive pedal feel, but now I know why many of you say the first-gen Rivs were boosted so that the fairer sex could stop this car quickly and effortlessly! Her are some pix of the setup, where you can see the distribution block down below.

post-56475-143142759551_thumb.jpg

post-56475-143142759526_thumb.jpg

post-56475-143142759526_thumb.jpg

post-56475-143142759551_thumb.jpg

Well the job is finally done, and as expected the first thing I did was nearly launch my head through the windshield when I stepped on the brakes the first few times. First, thanks to all on this forum who gave me great advice and guidance, especially to Kaber for his detailed drawings, which were of immense help to my trusted mechanic and me. I used a master cyl and booster for a '67 Riv drum/drum setup, a distribution block (Part PR106A) from Inline Tube in MI (thanks, Darren and Kaber) and the magical rubber booster seal from Booster Dewey (thanks Dewey and again, Kaber). We had to adjust the front bakes a couple times to get a less sensitive pedal feel, but now I know why many of you say the first-gen Rivs were boosted so that the fairer sex could stop this car quickly and effortlessly! Her are some pix of the setup, where you can see the distribution block down below.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]273565[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]273566[/ATTACH]

WOW! Awesome work. It looks great! I have an update to my conversion that might be relevant here....I noticed after the conversion that the brake lamps were kind of intermittent. I checked the wiring and it was good. I replaced the Hydraulic switch with a new one and the "Intermittent" problem went away. After a short time we started getting people stopping us and telling us we had no brake lights. I checked and they came on but only in a high pedal pressure situation. The car had to be running, for the added boost, for them to work at all. I bled the rear brakes thinking I had an air bubble and that didn't help. I did some research and found a Brake lamp switch that actuates at 20-40 PSI as opposed to the stock 60-120 PSI. I ordered one from Jegs. It seems I was not the first to have this issue. Anyway I got it put in and brake lights work MUCH better and the car no longer needs the boost to actuate the lamps!

I'm glad I could help. Happy stopping!

Kaber

Guest dwhiteside64

Looks and sounds like a stunning success Jan. Thanks for sharing the info with us so others can do the conversion when the time comes.

I did some research and found a Brake lamp switch that actuates at 20-40 PSI as opposed to the stock 60-120 PSI.

Thanks for sharing this tip, Kaber. This morning I checked my brake lights, even w/o the engine running, and they were operational. But I'll keep an eye on them.