Anyone paint Riv trim pieces?

DAVES89

Gibson's recently got in a very nice '91 Riv. The Console and IPC trim pieces are very nice and has the cubby door [which I want]. My wife does not want the wood grain and wants me to keep the 'vert trim black. So the question is has anyone painted over the wood grain and been satisfied with the end result?

If so what did you use for prep and finish coat?

Dave,

These can be painted with proper prep. I'd take the gloss off with some #0000 steel wool or equivalent scotchbrite. I would also go to an auto paint supplier and get a rattle can of adhesion promoter to lay down before the finish color.

For paint I'd look for a metallic black (rustoleum makes some I've used before) as it will be reasonably close match to the stock trim.

You might want to overcoat that with a satin clear coat to reduce glares and protect the colorfrom wear. I would be a bit concerned about wear on the cubby door if you use it frequently.

KDirk

SEM products are very good for painting plastics. DuPont has a green paste that you use with a green scotch brite pad and rinse with water and then spray DuPont plastic adhesion promoter you can get in aerosol then paint with your topcoat also Urethane Supply Company is another supplier of plastic refinish materials, they work well it's just how much you wanna spend

Come to Appleton and we will go junking. There are 2 Reattas 3 plus years there, 6-8 Rivs from '89-93, Numerous Roadmasters, Park Aves, LeSabres, Trofeos, etc. Gibson's is Wisconsin's largest You Pick yard.

Then we can do the swap.

Well I took the first step and went to Gibson's. They just got in a '90 Riv. Car was a non smoker and owned by a woman. The trim pieces are perfect. I hink I will put them in as is and see if it grows on my wife. Hope so as they are too nice to paint.

It must of been half price day at Gibson's because I couldn't believe how little I paid...