1948 Continental new to the mountains

Guest suebelle

Guest suebelle

Our 1948 Cabriolet was running well at sea level but now at 4000 ft in the Blue Ridge it is having trouble making it up hills. I have fiddled with the carb which seems to work well. Is it possible the overdrive is somehow stuck on and I do not have a real first gear/

Also, does any one know of a good mechanic for the 12 near the Boone area?

Sue Belle

Usually the thing to do for altitude is to lean out the carb and advance the timing. The air is thinner at altitude and it will never run quite as good as it did at sea level. Not sure of the type of carb or whether the best bet would be to change the main jets. Maybe Carbking will chime in.

If you have moved there you will need to lean out the carburetor. If you do this make sure you don't drive it back down the hill without fattening it back up. This is a typical problem with the old engines.

I used to work on outboard engines and had many customers bring their 'ailing' engines to me after a trip to the high lakes when there was nothing wrong with them.

On a second note, My brothers Flathead Ford school bus ran like crap on a trip to Reno/Tahoe. So did the boat.