Going to check out a 72 Riv Boat tail!

viper771

Hey everyone. I am going to check out this boat tail in a few days. The guy who has it is interested in my 68 442 project that I just don't have time to work on. The good side, I have always liked the boat tails and this car is rdy to go. The 2nd owner has had it for 2 yrs, car has under 50K miles, everything orig and have always been stored in doors. I only know about oldsmobiles and tri 5 chevys so any advice would be great. What do these cars usually sell for? I wish it had buckets and a console, but I am at the point now where I am tired of having projects and I want to drive one car, while working on the other (which is a 62 olds starfire). Anyway check out the pictures and let me know what you guys think. Thanks!!

post-55097-143142577993_thumb.jpg

post-55097-143142577999_thumb.jpg

post-55097-143142578002_thumb.jpg

post-55097-143142578005_thumb.jpg

post-55097-143142578008_thumb.jpg

post-55097-143142578011_thumb.jpg

post-55097-143142578013_thumb.jpg

post-55097-143142577993_thumb.jpg

post-55097-143142577999_thumb.jpg

post-55097-143142578002_thumb.jpg

post-55097-143142578005_thumb.jpg

post-55097-143142578008_thumb.jpg

post-55097-143142578011_thumb.jpg

post-55097-143142578013_thumb.jpg

Hey everyone. I am going to check out this boat tail in a few days. The guy who has it is interested in my 68 442 project that I just don't have time to work on. The good side, I have always liked the boat tails and this car is rdy to go. The 2nd owner has had it for 2 yrs, car has under 50K miles, everything orig and have always been stored in doors. I only know about oldsmobiles and tri 5 chevys so any advice would be great. What do these cars usually sell for? I wish it had buckets and a console, but I am at the point now where I am tired of having projects and I want to drive one car, while working on the other (which is a 62 olds starfire). Anyway check out the pictures and let me know what you guys think. Thanks!!

It looks like nice 72. Since it is not a GS, the going price is around $10 for a nice driver. How much is he asking? Just to give you some quick info, it appears the color is crystal blue which paint code 21 on the data plate. If it is crystal blue, only 2,203 72 Rivs. had this color for 6.53% of total production. If you need any other help or info, just send me a PM.

Bob Bonto # 277 ROA :cool:

71-73 Technical Advisor

Charter Member

Thanks for the info! The deal about the car is I plan on swapping my 68 442 project for this car. I have WAY tooo many projects... and I am ready to get rid of one so I can finally have an old car to drive this summer. Then I can work on my 62 Starfire. I think we are talking around 7K-8k there abouts. I kind of wish it had buckets though, but I can look past that. The story is the ppl who have it now got it off the orig owner who died 2 yrs ago. It was his 2nd car, and always stored it inside. He would just drive it to go golfing and take it to car shows once in awhile. I will find some rally wheels for it if things go to plan. I want to ditch the big front bumper guards too.I have been searching but haven't found any yet. The small console for the bench seat would be cool but those are kind of rare in their own right I guess. Thanks for the info! I haven't seen many GS versions at all either so they much be a bit harder to find.

• 2 weeks later...

The boat tail was actually in very good shape! It actually has 90K miles but looks great. No rust anywhere except some minor minor crust behind the pass. rear tire between quarter and inner fender. but no rust though. Underside looks great and looks like a slighty used new car. There is a bit of a scrape on one side on the driver rear quarter and a small dent near the tip of the rear bumper and some scraping near where the car got too close to a wall at one point. The scrape is minor and the paint is just missing, but no dents or anything in the metal. Interior is perfect. I took a ton of picts... this may be my next car here in a week or so..

So if you get bumpers rechromed, can the dents be pounded out?? Also, I would love to find the rally wheels for one of these. Any leads would be helpful (and would the spare need to be a rally wheel as well?).

Anyway enjoy the picts and pls any other advice would be helpful!

post-55097-143142595235_thumb.jpg

post-55097-14314259517_thumb.jpg

post-55097-143142595194_thumb.jpg

post-55097-143142595215_thumb.jpg

So if you get bumpers rechromed, can the dents be pounded out?? Also, I would love to find the rally wheels for one of these. Any leads would be helpful (and would the spare need to be a rally wheel as well?).

The dents can be pounded out but the entire bumper will need to be rechromed. BIG BUCKS. What you do depends on what your plans are for the car. You said earlier that you "were tired of projects and just want to drive one." Do it.

The original may have come with a rally for a spare, but if you keep it like it is, you're going to cover it anyway. You'll probably buy four new radial tires and rotating radials you move the front to the back - repeatedly. Unlike with bias tires, the spare never goes into rotation. The correct wheels for these cars are easier to find that the first and second generation cars.

Enjoy the Riviera experience.

Ed

I don't mind a project that I can drive around in. My other 2 I can't.. so the riv would be quite a switch. Good point about the rally space. How much is big bucks to fix a bumper? I haven't had to do any chroming stuff for quite a few years. I think that was prob the biggest "prob" on the car other than the paint scrape which can be fixed. Thanks for the info though!

I have more picts but I have to resize them all :(

• 2 years later...