OEM, Mild Imposter or Imposter

Guest clamshells

To answer one of the original questions - Buick Club TRUE judging does not require you to start your car for it to be judged so if it looks factory - - no deduction . My choice for a modern better sounding system would be Flowmasters . My 61 has glasspaks and I really like the old 60s sound also. The ROA Judgeing system is a fun thing and as indicated before , its a popularity contest . What ever looks nice - has a good chance - has nothing to do with originality . The BCA thing is Originality = has nothing to do with eye candy for the most part however - Resale Red is always a good choice ? LOL

Guest clamshells
So exactly what components make up the system?

2 1/4 head pipes w/ GS fewer bends into 2 1/4 in 2 1/4 out resonators, over the axle 2 1/14 into 2 1/4 in 2 1/4 out transverse muffler dumps 2 1/4 out the back. The system looks correct all on the correct hangers made by Waldron's. The car sounds good (not stock) until about 3000 RPM the treble is nearly unbearable, on deceleration the noise makes everyone within 50 yards cringe.

The old rusting out stock style resonators had baffles that made the car nice and quiet AKA a pleasure to drive. When the front carb opened up it sounded mean, no crackle, no oil-canning rapping like it does now.

I don't understand how anyone is happy with their car producing the noise this system makes. I suppose if your car is parked or never driven like a dual quad car it sounds fine.

Guest clamshells
To answer one of the original questions - Buick Club TRUE judging does not require you to start your car for it to be judged so if it looks factory - - no deduction . My choice for a modern better sounding system would be Flowmasters . My 61 has glasspaks and I really like the old 60s sound also. The ROA Judgeing system is a fun thing and as indicated before , its a popularity contest . What ever looks nice - has a good chance - has nothing to do with originality . The BCA thing is Originality = has nothing to do with eye candy for the most part however - Resale Red is always a good choice ? LOL

Mitch lives nearby he's got a OEM system to dissect a resonator and I'll send it to Waldron's to make the correct internal resonator.

The Ghost has 50" packs, the Skylark GS also has headers & true duals, bike has Rineharts. I want one quiet car to match the expense/investment in making it look and sound 1965 correct.

Edited by clamshells (see edit history)

Guest clamshells
From what I can tell it sounds great..................just like the sound I want.

I am having The Ghost set up with resonators and the pipes over the axle only. Taking that set up for a drive while Goldie gets new resonators and her OEM muffler reinstalled and make a decision the either run resonators only or the Mild Imposter w/ resonator deletes. Thanks for the video/audio it sure sounds good and helps a lot.

I hate the drone!

I didn't hear the "suck back" until I listened with head phones. To each is own regarding exhaust sound but IMO you are not going to want to rev your car in fear of embarrassment. If you want her sounding correct you're going to need baffled resonators. If you want a quality sound and that nailhead "spit" like my 401 Skylark GS then go true duals. Just my NSHO.

My car is fairly quiet in normal driving and does not drone at constant speeds. The Hushpower's are from Flowmaster. They use a laminated steel plate baffle system that copies the tone of 1950's steel packs. It has the exact Chris Craft idle I was looking for and sounds good upon acceleration. If I wasn't happy with it all the parts would be in my nephew's tin pile with the Waldron's "quiet" system I bought for the '60 Electra.

I had a Flowmaster 3" American Thunder system on a Z-28 a few years ago. They sure picked the right name for that one! I think the 2" tailpipes are benefiting me. The bigger stuff echoes.

I've had enough cars with tachometers so I have a good idea what RPM range I am running in and I have to trigger a whole bunch of yahoo neurons to go over 3500 rpm. What in the world are you guys doing to need these high flow, low restriction systems? These are Rivieras.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Guest clamshells
My car is fairly quiet in normal driving and does not drone at constant speeds. The Hushpower's are from Flowmaster. They use a laminated steel plate baffle system that copies the tone of 1950's steel packs. It has the exact Chris Craft idle I was looking for and sounds good upon acceleration. If I wasn't happy with it all the parts would be in my nephew's tin pile with the Waldron's "quiet" system I bought for the '60 Electra.

I had a Flowmaster 3" American Thunder system on a Z-28 a few years ago. They sure picked the right name for that one! I think the 2" tailpipes are benefiting me. The bigger stuff echoes.

I've had enough cars with tachometers so I have a good idea what RPM range I am running in and I have to trigger a whole bunch of yahoo neurons to go over 3500 rpm. What in the world are you guys doing to need these high flow, low restriction systems? These are Rivieras.

Bernie

I am going for bone stock in appearance and sound on this application, nothing is over sized. I didn't purchase the system with intentions for sound or flow just as a correct system (see through resonators are not OEM in design). The Ghost car is going for a sound like dual exhaust through a stock muffler without the muffled sound of going through the transverse, nothing obnoxious just good old 60's dual exhaust sound produced by a big block nailhead AKA music to my ears.

I am going for bone stock in appearance and sound on this application, nothing is over sized. I didn't purchase the system with intentions for sound or flow just as a correct system (see through resonators are not OEM in design)

I if you keep in mind for whom this car was originally built, you'll have a good idea of what it should sound like. If I were 45 - 60 years old back in '63 - 65, I'd probably be a fairly well to do accounant, lawyer, doctor, or engineer. I sure a heck wouldn't want to hear anything other than the whoosh of air coming from my tail pipes. The new generation of car owner is a different breed; just look at what Cadillac is selling now and what other cars appeal to that clientele. A little exhaust rumble now is probably preferred. Mike, you want the quietest system you can get your hands on. I also think that the Gran Sport had 2-1/4" pipes to the muffler, but only 2" tail pipes. I know that the tail pipe in the 63, 64, and 65 (non Gran Sport) was smaller than the exhaust pipe.

Ed

Guest clamshells
I if you keep in mind for whom this car was originally built, you'll have a good idea of what it should sound like. If I were 45 - 60 years old back in '63 - 65, I'd probably be a fairly well to do accounant, lawyer, doctor, or engineer. I sure a heck wouldn't want to hear anything other than the whoosh of air coming from my tail pipes. The new generation of car owner is a different breed; just look at what Cadillac is selling now and what other cars appeal to that clientele. A little exhaust rumble now is probably preferred. Mike, you want the quietest system you can get your hands on. I also think that the Gran Sport had 2-1/4" pipes to the muffler, but only 2" tail pipes. I know that the tail pipe in the 63, 64, and 65 (non Gran Sport) was smaller than the exhaust pipe.

Ed

I'll look into the smaller diameter tail pipe. Where is Tom?