66 skylark clicking while trying to start

Guest als 66

Guest als 66

Hello, my 66 skylark has been having an issue where I have to hold up the column shifter in order to start it. Yesterday it started to just click no matter what position the shifter was in. Is there a ignition switch in the steering column assy? If there is, can it be fixed without having to replace the entire column. Any help will be greatful.

Als 66

holding up the shifter to start the car indicates a problem with the neutral safety switch which is attached to the column down by the brake pedal. The clicks indicates a low battery charge, or a dirty battery connection preventing sufficient flow of energy to the starter. There may be a short of some nature caused by the neutral safety switch resulting in excessive drain on the battery.

I would start by charging the battery for a day and then seeing if that stops the clicking. If so, I would keep the battery disconnected till the source of the short is found.

Not enough curent is geting to the starter. If the battery is sufficiently charged then there is possibly a bad ground connection from the battery to the block. Could be that moving the shifter was temporarily making better contact from the frame ground through the shifter linkage to the transmission and the block. Check the block ground cable.

Corroded battery connections? Check the voltage at the battery when trying to start. If more than 9.6 volts, not the battery. Then check between the engine block ground and the battery connection to the starter. If more than 9.6 V when cranking, then I would say bad starter, but if less, then bad cables provided the battery check out at over 9.6.

In a sort of related incident, my son's 96 Regal would not start the other night. Same clicking sounds indicating dirty terminals. A quick jump start and he left it at my house for repair. Well, note to self and others. Send these things out to someone else to do.

The negative cable came right off and was like new inside ( side post terminals). The positive side would not budge. Rounded the nut even though I used a 6 sided 5/16th socket. WTF, With no other choice, out came the vice grips and just when I though it was moving, the entire terminal rips out of the battery. So now it's leaking battery acid onto the tray and I remove the easy bolt on the holddown. Easy my backside. Another one solid. Snap! But at least I could get the battery out of there and treat the acid. Then we find out how much batteries have increased lately!!! WOW!!!!:eek:

Then I was talking with my mechanic friend about it and he says let me guess. The positive cable was stuck and you ripped the terminal out of the battery and snapped off the hold down bolt.

What a PIA !!!!! Sorry for the hijack. Back to your thread.

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)