When to overhaul engine?

CBloomberg

I think it may be coming soon for my 1967 Riviera. I believe the 430 is original to my car. It has 105,000 miles and seems to be using too much oil but does not seem too noisy. I notice blue smoke behind me when driving steady 60 or 65 mph. Motor oil drips on the driveway are also a bit messy. I think I could drive it on a road trip to Colorado springs if I watch the oil level closely and plan to get it redone late summer or fall. Does that seem reasonable or too risky?

How many miles to the quart? Anything under 500 would make me very nervous. I had a front seal I didn't think was bad that bombed out on me and finished an otherwise fair engine, so watch where it's leaking from. If it's just burning oil, a heavier viscosity for a summer cruise might help you limp the last trip out of it.

True, but if you plan to keep the car, it sounds like a rebuild is coming in the near future anyway and that is unlikely to be getting cheaper as time passes. If you are starting to use a lot of oil, the money may as well be going into the rebuild as oil cans. Better for the environment too.