rear axle questions

Guest 1935du

Guest 1935du

I have spent a couple hours searching for answers but not finding what I need.

I had a rear axle leaking on the 1935 DU. I pulled the wheel, drum and axle. But cant find the proper tool to pull the inner race. I made an adapter to fit a slide hammer, but cant pull it even with it. After a couple hours of messing with it, We need a better tool. I did a search on Ebay for a internal claw puller but don't find what I need, of course I am not sure what to look for. Any pics of a tool to look for, also any tips or advice would be great. Thanks

post-92327-143142555712_thumb.jpgpost-92327-143142555712_thumb.jpgpost-92327-143142555712_thumb.jpgwell we got three prints ,had trouble posting , does not matter . As you can see this 80 odd year old multi purpose puller will do the job . The only thing is that you will not buy one ,you will have to make one as I had to do to remove these late model inner bearings, hope it helps Bob

I think your rear axle set up is similar to my 32 in that the bearings are on the axle and the races are inside the axle housing. In my case there are back to back bearings on the axle and an inner race about three inches inside the axle housing and an outer race flush with the end of the housing. The outer race came free by putting the brake drum back on after I removed the backing plate and outer axle seal. By putting the hub/brake drum on loosely and giving it a couple of sharp tugs, the outer bearing race came out. I could then pull the axle, with the bearings attached, free. This left the inner race inside the housing. I rented a puller from a local tool rental shop that still has lots of old tools for rent. It was a three claw puller with a slide hammer attached. The jaws faced outwards and could be locked into position. Then a few good slams with the slide hammer and the race came right out. You're going to ruin the inner seal in the process. I just did a search on the net and couldn't find anything like it for sale, not even a picture of one. A rare bird, apparently, but the only tool I could find that worked.

Guest 1935du

Thanks for posting the video, it was very helpful. I did get the inner race out. We have the axle at a machine shop getting bearings pressed on. New seals are on order and I hope in the mail.

Don't forget to check the wear area where the inner seal rubs on the axle. In many cases there will be wear or pitting there. That can be remedied by using a speedy sleeve or welding the area and turning it down. Same with the outer seal surface on the hub of the rear drum. I had to have my drums welded and cut due to heavy wear.

Guest 1935du

Another step done, got the rear back together. When I pulled the inner races it had shims behind them. I had checked the end play on the axles before pulling it apart. Then I measured the distance between the old bearings with races in place. Had new bearings installed and measured the distance on the new bearings. I decided not to install shims, checked endplay I was happy with the results. So I greased it up and put her back together.