'63 vs. '64 door assemblies

Guest crispy319

Guest crispy319

Hello all. Brand new poster looking to join your "family". Have located a Riv that I am most likely going to buy. Initially thought it was a '64, but after decoding is a '63. Needs a drivers side door. Located a '64 door before this discovery. So, my obvious question is are the doors on a '63 & '64 identical or do I need to find a '63 door? Read almost all your threads over the weekend. Phenomenal knowledge. Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

Guest clamshells

63-65 door skins are the same. Do you need a skin or entire door? If you just need a skin the answer is yes but as far as the entire door lets get a 63 guy in here to answer your question.

Welcome.

I have both, a '63 and a '64. I have the doors off of the '64 so I can clean them up, install some power vents windows, and re-lube the rollers and guides. I just bought two rust bucket '63's, salvaged what I wanted, and scrapped the rest.

The only difference between the '63 and '64 door is in the window assembly. On the '63 the glass is pressed into a channel, on the '64, the glass is bolted to the channel. One thing you should be aware of is that there was one style door for the standard interior, and a second style for the custom interior. There are also holes punched into the doors for wires for power seats and power window. The biggest difference between the two styles is that the doors for the custom interior has the rear seat passenger door handle.

As CS says above, if you only need a different skin, then it will be a simple R&R. Do a single content search and limit it to the Riviera Owners Assn. to look for previous threads on how to remove the door skins. It all starts with the small stainless trim piece that's under the vent window.

It would help all of us if you were to post your location in your avatar. That would give everyone an idea as to how far it might be to ship parts to you or perhaps someone might even be in your neighbor hood.

IF (notice the all caps) you wind up needing a door panel rather than just a skin, I have a set off of a '63. They've been stripped down to the bare metal; no hardware, nothing but the sheet metal. In this form, they're not really that heavy.

Welcome and keep us up to date on what you wind up doing. If the price is right, buy the car anyway and then start looking for the parts you need. That's half or more of the fun.

Ed

PS - A couple of simple ways to tell a '63 from a '64.

1963:

A/C and heat controls over the radio

Dynaflow transmission - PNDLR

flat button on ribbed hood spear

Circle with tri-shield on tail light lens

B U I C K across center of trunk lid

1964:

A/C and heat controls on console

ST400 Transmission PRNDL

Stand up R on scolloped hood spear

Oval with R in tail light lens

Riviera in script on right corner of trunk lid

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I will beg to differ, but only slightly. He said driver's door, and there is a difference in the mirror location on an early 63 door. Should he happen to have one of those and replaced it with a late 63-64-65, the mirror holes would be in a different location, as it was moved further forward on the door. Not the end of the world, as either works. No facts without pictures, so here is what we have. Blue door is an early 63. Saddle is a 64. Note the mirror location is even with the vent post on an early 63. post-53315-14314253598_thumb.jpg

post-53315-143142535976_thumb.jpg

On different '63's we've found mirrors mounted forward as shown on the '64. No one yet has come up with an explanation as to why there are different mirror placements, but it's still under investigation. I took pictures of mirror placements on all of the cars at the Hershey meet in '10 and couldn't determine any rhyme or reason.

Ed

I seem to recall a one year only thing on the door hinges for the 63. About 8 years ago, I replaced the drivers door on my 63. I found a perfect door off a 64 or 65 at CTC Auto ranch, cleaned it and primed it only to realize it was different. It may be adaptable, but I do think they are different. Am I crazy? PRL

OK Riviera People: 99% of the time the shell is OK. The driver's side skin is different due to the placement of the outside rear view mirror. And about door skins.....be aware.

1. Unless you are doing the work and you don't mind more work these things grow on trees for cheap. Find the best one you can (if you're paying someone). Also, really check it out because the factory put a big glob of undercoating on the back and sometimes it's hard to tell how much damage or filler there was.

2. Factor in that you'll most likely need a window fuzzy (perhaps the kit) to do a clean job. Once you drill the screws out of the old stainless trim the old fuzzy will most likely be wiped out. That stainless trim really needs to come off to do a clean job and that is the part of the vehicle you will always see when you get in.

3. Make sure the all the "T" screws and nuts come with the door skin because they can be a pain to find.

4. All Custom interior door panels are almost identical. 63 and 64 have the one grain vinyl and 65 the other. ( I forgot the name of the vinyl). 63 has a circle on the wood, 64 and 5 an "R". The stainless surrounds for the wood are the same except that 63 and 64 are painted black and 65 has no paint. The wood is different on the 65 with a pin stripe. 63 and 4 have an oval bezel for the mirror, 65 square, as shown on previous pictures.

When doing door panels in Custom/power window/seat units be reeeeealy careful with the switches because the cardboard keeper that retains the wire ends in the cradle breaks just by looking at it the wrong way. I don't know if there is a repair kit for them as of yet.

The door panels are relatively simple for a good upholstery shop to restore. Clarks has the cardboard for cheep, they have the authentic panels as well as the vinyl yardage for cheep. The plastic pieces under the arm rest cushion are getting hard to find because many have become brittle and cracked.

A picture would help too. Mitch

Am I crazy? PRL

Do you by chance live in Sane? They have no airport; you have to be driven there.

Don't know, I've never had to swap hinges. I have a set of '63 hinges that are off the doors, I'll compare them to those on my '63 and see if I can see any visual differences.

Guest crispy319

Incredible stuff guys! This organization is one of the reasons I feel confident about moving ahead with this car. My question was basically to confirm my coats after the buy. So, RivNut I am interested in a driver's side door if you're still interested in selling one. Cost? I will complete a profile ASAP, just needed to get the question out there quickly so I can move ahead with the purchase. Again, thanks to all!

It's taking up space. Plus I know where a couple of others are as well that are complete. What interior - standard or custom - do you have and what options are included that would have a bearing on how the door needs to be fitted. If you car has a complete, but wrecked door, I think I'd go with the bare panel and put all of your hardware on it. Take pictures and ask for help posting them if needed. As you get closer, send me a PM and we'll exchange phone numbers and work out the details.

Ed

• 5 years later...

On the discussion of the 63 v 65 doors. I had damaged the passenger side door, not the door it self, bought one had window etc. swapped only to find that the top hinge attaches differently. The 65 has build in nut plates that allow a certain amount of adjustment. Without getting into writing a lengthy  explanation, it could not be made to work unless you wanted to get into cutting welding, and still not knowing the possibility. 

I put some '63 doors (without skins) on my '64 because the '63 doors had power vents in them.  I noticed then that the '64 hinges were adjustable with the skin on the door; the adjustment on the '63 hinges required the removal of the skin.