Power steering Leak

bhambulldog

photo_zps6f61961a.jpg

I have a leak at one of the fittings of the hydraulic power cylinder.

I suspect I need to replace the 'O' rings on the external tube fittings and fitting bolts.

(at the top left of the photo)

Does someone know what size they are?

Do you reckon I should replace all the 'O' rings on both ends of the external lines at the valve housing and the cylinder?

(that would be four connections, eight 'O' rings)

Or, should I let sleeping dogs lie and replace only the 'O' rings on the leaking fitting?

This afternoon, I drove to a cruise in one county east. The Roadmaster was running as smooth and quiet as I'm sure it was the day it was pulled of the dealer's lot in 1955.

Until the steering fluid got set loose...

It really made a mess of the engine compartment....

My first hint something was wrong , was on the highway cruising at 65 mph , the engine begin missing and back firing....

That was due to the power steering oil being sprayed on the distributor and shorting it out and causing misfires....

It was also spraying on the exhaust manifold. I'm thankful that it didn't catch fire,,

Here's a bit of irony to go with the story.

About 38 years ago, Dad and I were coming home from a car show at Rome Georgia.

Twelve miles outside of Birmingham, we ran out of gas on an uphill run of US 78. Due to a malfunction of the fuel gauge.

If we would have had just a few more ounces of gas, we would have made the top of the hill and coasted to a filling station on the downhill side.....

Every time I approach that spot I think to myself; "there's where Daddy and I ran out of gas in the Roadmaster..".

Tonight, just as I approached that spot and the reminder of Dad and I running out of gas..

the Nailhead said; "sput, ...sput,... sput, ... POW!! sput.. sput.. sput.. POW!!

http://www.buickrestorer.com/powersteering.html (includes a larger copy of Mudbone's chart and link to bench testing video...other videos can be found)

This may help some. If you are going to work on it rebuild the whole thing, since all of the seals and O-rings are just as old and rotten. In the meatime drive it with the power steering belt removed.

Willie

I'm glad you mentioned that Willie. You anticipated my next question.

After reading the shop manual, and how it operates. Removing the belt is what I was thinking of doing...

I'll take the belt off.