Alarm System...?

Mr. Anderson

Well, after a few days with the new (new to me) reatta, the fix-it list keeps on growing. My issue is about the anti-theft system. As of right now, the system doesn't work. All that I ever see of the security light is a slight flash when I lock the doors. I've tried to set off the alarm, but I have not been successful in setting it off. Is there anything I can check before I end up tearing this car apart looking for answers? Thanks in advance!

Maybe your alarm was disabled on purpose by a previous owner. There is a harness above the emergency brake pedal (up under the dash) that has a inline fuse holder. If your fuse is missing (or blown) it disables the alarm.

Guest WEB 38

I have the same problem alarm will not work checked the in line fuse its good. The only time the security light comes on is for 2 seconds when I turn the key on. Bill

I have the same problem alarm will not work checked the in line fuse its good. The only time the security light comes on is for 2 seconds when I turn the key on. Bill

Bill, mine also does this. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to do much work on this due to a bad alternator and ground issues, among other problems.

Guest WEB 38

I Contacted the PO and asked if he disconnected it. and he told me he didn't know it had an alarm. If I find the problem I will be sure to post it. I also found that the interior light button does not work on both of the remotes don't know if that is related. Any one have any ideas ? Bill

Guest WEB 38

Ronnie No matter what I try I cannot get any response from system, I have 2 other Reattas that work fine. Is there some relays or some thing I could switch around from one of the other cars to trouble shot the problem? Thanks Bill

Since my car is a '88 model that doesn't have the remote keyless entry so my security components will probably be different from yours.

I'm probably not the best person to help you find your problem. I can't simulate how your car should work with mine.

What I can tell you is my security light does not flash when I turn the key on. It does flash when I open a door. Does yours? When I open the door, push the lock button the system arms and the security light goes out. The only way I can disarm the system is to put to unlock the drivers door with the key. Putting the key in the ignition does not disarm it.

Maybe someone with a '90 can offer you more help.

Mc Reatta, thank you for the link to the test! I was able to do the test earlier this afternoon, and found that BI05 and BI06 both read 'Hi' no matter what I did to the door. I think this is the door jam switch and door handle. I did the same test for the pass. side with no change in results. Where should I go from here?

Also, thanks for the input so far! :)

Guest Mc_Reatta

The door jamb switch issue definitely affects the alarm problem as it is needed to set the alarm. The handle switches affect the courtesy lights so that's a separate problem.

The door jamb switch issue definitely affects the alarm problem as it is needed to set the alarm. The handle switches affect the courtesy lights so that's a separate problem.

That explains why I don't have any courtesy lights either!! :eek: But anyways, is this fixed through the wire splices under the seat or do I need to find a replacement switch?

Guest Mc_Reatta

Need to figure out what circuit is causing the jamb switches not to function.

Do the courtesy lights come on when a door is open?

Do you have a voltmeter?

Guest Mc_Reatta

Power is supplied to two of the wires leading to each switch. The light blue wire has 12 v for the alarm circuit, the white wire has 12 v for the courtesy light circuit. The black wire with the white stripe is a ground wire. All of these wires go thru splices under the seats. Depending on which isn't getting connected properly is what seat you will need to pull to check the splice.

Since your door handle switches don't work either, and they share that black/white ground wire, my first instinct is that is the problem which will have you pulling the passenger seat. Since it's easier to pull a jamb switch to test than a seat, that's where I would go to confirm this before pulling a seat.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Carefully remove one of the jamb switches (it has power all the time) and verify if you have 12v on the blue and white wires. That will confirm those circuits are OK and problem is with the ground wire. Just need to remove the one screw and pull switch out far enough to get to the wires behind it.

Guest WEB 38

My door jam switch both hot wires checked out good too. I Have been under pass. seat earlier and fixed the splices Looks like I might have missed one Let me know what you find. before I go back under. Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got under the seats and found a mess of corrosion in the wires. I fixed as many splices as I could before it got too dark on me.I checked my work and found that I now have courtesy lights (yay!), but still nothing on the anti-theft. The security light still acts like it did before. Any thoughts on what I could've overlooked?

Mc Reatta, thank you for the link to the test! I was able to do the test earlier this afternoon, and found that BI05 and BI06 both read 'Hi' no matter what I did to the door. I think this is the door jam switch and door handle. I did the same test for the pass. side with no change in results. Where should I go from here?

Also, thanks for the input so far! :)

You should repeat the door switch tests again to see if you get the same results now that you have repaired splices under the seat.

Ok, so as far as I know, I got to all of the splices under the passenger seat. All of them were badly corroded, and I replaced them all with new splices and cleaned and stripped the wires when necessary. I'm starting to wonder if I should go under the drivers seat to make sure everything is good... :rolleyes:

You should repeat the door switch tests again to see if you get the same results now that you have repaired splices under the seat.

Ronnie, I checked the door jam switches and everything after finishing the repairs, and everything works perfectly except that the door handle test always reads 'HI'.

The security light also remains on after I open any door. (I'm pretty sure that the light is supposed to flash when not armed, and remain on for a few seconds before going off when the system is armed.) The system still doesn't arm or anything. Any ideas about that one?

I'm starting to wonder if I should go under the drivers seat to make sure everything is good... :rolleyes:

Brett,

The only way to remove any doubt about the condition of the splices under the drivers side would be to look.

May not have anything to do with your problem but at least you'll know their condition.

John F.

• 3 weeks later...

I still can't figure this one out... the security light stays on solid when the doors are open. The door jamb switches test fine, the splices are all repaired, but the door handle switches always stay on "HI" during the BCM tests. What should I test next?