Alternate tool/jig for Dynaflow Shift Needle/Shifter Adjustment on Column besides KD J series Tool?

Well as we all know, Buick engineers were definitely in love with KD Tools. The Shop Manual for my 1950 calls for a KD J series tool for aligning/adjusting the column mounted shift needle/shifter on the Dynaflow transmission. Has anyone been able to come up with an alternate tool or jig to make the needed adjustments after working on the lower end of the shift linkage?

Here's the scenario. My car seems to be still under slight forward transmission power when in Neutral and is not holding in Park when on a set of ramps. A couple weekends back when doing an oil change, I pulled the car up onto some ramps and then set the Parking Brake. When done, I released the Parking Brake, and while not holding my foot on the Brake the car rolled backwards while in Park, making a clicking noise. The Shop Manual clearly describes this situation as an issue with adjustments being need at the lower end of the shift linkage and something about an internal ratchet or gear being a bit out of alignment. (Sorry but left SM at home today) The Manual gives pretty straightforward directions for adjusting the linkage/clevis pin, but then also directs to adjust the shift needle/shifter at top end after making the lower end adjustments...

Ideas? Is the shifter at the top end probably still within tolerance that I don't need to fool with it after making the probably minor lower end adjustments?

Thanks!

Yes+1

You will have to adjust the parking pawl for it to lock in park. Manual describes procedure. Or, pawls have been known to break. If it is clicking, probably needs adjustment.

BUT, first should check/replace the rear tranny mount. This will cause you terrible adjustment problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buick/jack, Thanks for the replies. I was hoping I wouldn't have to fiddle around with the shifter needle at the top end. Most of these KD tools are either now non-existent, or insanely overpriced. What should I be looking at/for as far as the rear tranny mount goes? I'm pretty sure that I remember seeing replacement mounts in the Bob's or CARS catalogs... I'm thinking it's probably only adjustment vice broken, because I'm able to start the car in Park without holding down brake pedal and it doesn't go anywhere. Tends to want to creep in Neutral though. I'll start to mess with the Tranny once I get my brakes working again.

I don't think your transmission has detents inside the transmission, which makes it harder to adjust. Send me a PM and I will send a link to a pdf (Dynaflow Doctor) which included a template for making a test selector quadrant.

Willie