'53 322 V8 Crankshaft Double Pulley

Guest mdwhit

Guest mdwhit

I am going to have to replace the crankshaft double pulley as I rebuild this engine. This is because the pulley has a piece broken off on the outer belt guide (the upper "vee" area). I have an opportunity to bid on one, but the picture of it shows a lot of surface rust on the seal area, and I am wondering if it may also have some small pits, or even a slight groove where the seal makes contact.

So I guess my question is: can I sleeve the seal surface area, and is that usually successful, or would it be advisable to just wait for a good pulley to come along? Thanks in advance for any comments...

Michael

From your description I assume it is a damper with pulley attached. Doesn't your pulley seperate? Anyway, a slight groove and some rust should not disqualify it from being usable. They ran a rope seal, what kind of groove are you looking at? Maybe you need to post the pictures or the link so we might better judge what we can't see right now.

Guest mdwhit

TexasJohn,

Thanks for your reply. Below is a link to the ebay listing. As for a groove in the surface, I can not see one. I was just contemplating if there possibly was one and was worried about the surface rust. I am going to go ahead an bid on it, because the auction ends in a couple of hours, but thanks for your advice/comments.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151290647563?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Michael

Guest mdwhit

Bob,

Thank you for replying. I am going to go ahead and bid on the pulley/damper, since the auction ends shortly. I appreciate your comments. If I win the bidding, I will try to get a sleeve for it. I posted a link to the ebay listing in my reply to TexasJohn, in case you're curious as to what the surface area looks like.

Thanks again, Michael

Post more pictures after you get it. It looks like a trip through a blast cabinet will be all it needs. A 'sleeve' is available (I have repaired some really bad ones that way --- will cost more than the item :( ). The 'sleeve' is called a shaft repair sleeve in case you run into someone with more than a little confusion.

Guest mdwhit
Post more pictures after you get it. It looks like a trip through a blast cabinet will be all it needs. A 'sleeve' is available (I have repaired some really bad ones that way --- will cost more than the item :( ). The 'sleeve' is called a shaft repair sleeve in case you run into someone with more than a little confusion.

Thanks old-tank, for your comments. Sounds like I can put a sleeve on it easily (if needed). Hopefully, I will win the bid, and when I get it in the mail, I will post pictures.Thanks again, Michael

• 1 month later...
Guest mdwhit

post-78893-143142598947_thumb.jpg

Well, I did get the Double Pulley Damper that was on ebay, which I had discussed way back in May. I am attaching pictures. The pictures do not show it, but there is a groove on the shaft from seal wear. It's not bad though, so I am thinking that I will probably not use a sleeve when I get ready to install it.

Old Tank, you had asked for pictures when I got it... I am sorry for such a delayed reply, but...well, life sort of got in the way. Also, thanks TexasJohn55, Bob Beck, and old-tank for your comments (back in May). I really appreciated it!

Michael

post-78893-143142598915_thumb.jpg

post-78893-143142598933_thumb.jpg