Oil Preasure question....

All - I have a '33 Rockne with the stock Flathead-6. I ran it for a couple if minutes for the first time yesterday and it ran good. Unfortunately the oil gauge didn't register any pressure (not sure if it works). Does anyone have a trick to verify the oil pump working drawing oil to the engine?? Has anyone experienced problems with the oil pump not drawing oil after a rebuild? It has 6 quarts of 30wt oil in it. :confused:

Guest GeorgeCagle

When I rebuilt the engine in my '37 I had the same problem. My dad told me to pack the oil pump with Vaseline. That primed the pump and it dissolves into the oil as it gets warm.

Guest R L Elder

Hi when I rebuild any thing I coat all moving parts with Lucis eng. oil supplement pistons, cam shaft, rod & main , oil pump exct. it will stay in place sow you will never have a dry start up p/s I never use lubriplate as it has a tendency to harden after time

I had the same problem on my 1933 Rockne Model 10 just a couple of weeks ago, could not get any oil pressure. First I blew air in my gauge to make sure it was working. I put an extra quart of oil in to make sure the pickup tube was buried in oil and the Napa dealer told me to pack the oil pump with lithium grease and after a little cranking I got about fifth-teen lbs. of oil pressure. If your timing is right do not remove the pump, just take three bolts out of the cover and rotate cover to expose the gears and then pack it as best you can. Good Luck!

Guest R L Elder

If you can find a pressure pre-lube pot you can hook it to the pressure port on the block and force oil back in the engine it will prime the pump most engine rebuild shops have one

Thanks everyone for the help! I opened the oil pump and it was dry as a bone. My plan will be to pack the gears with grease or assembly lube and then try to fill the oil passages with oil. I will work on it this weekend and let you know!