Possible new Riv Owner- Need advice

dan at larescorp

I just got an offer on one of my vehicles to trade it for a 1985 Riviera. I'm currently waiting on a response as to what motor it has.

Right now the Riv is stripped and prepped for paint. The body looks solid with same filler. 90K miles. It sounds like a complete car.

My question is what do you think its worth in the condition it is in. I am interested in getting it, but don't want to loose out on value. You guys are the experts so what do you think. The vehicle I'm trading is a 1990 4x4 full size Bronco with a 4.9L inline 6 and a 5 speed manual with 114K miles with a small amount of surface rust and a dented front bumper. Would you make the same trade? What could it be worth if I painted it?

post-84610-14314245283_thumb.jpg

post-84610-143142452825_thumb.jpg

post-84610-143142452828_thumb.jpg

If I were you, I'd use one of the online value indicators to compare values. Something like Kelley Blue Book .com or look up what else like you have and the Riviera are selling for on some place like autotrader.com.

Look at the Riviera Owner's Assn. website - my signature below - for other similar vehicles and what they're selling for.

The V8 would be a 5.0L (307) Oldsmobile V8.

If YOU have to paint it, I personally don't think it would be worth the trade. (Have you priced a paint job lately?)

Wow! In CA paint materials for a decent paint job frequently cost $1,000 and more. Of course, CA environmentalists have made CA "extra special". It'd be worth it for me to drive to MN and get car painted.

The fact that the car has parts removed significantly lowers its value. The owner is going to have a very tough sell in my opinion. If someone offered me the road ready 1990 Bronco or the 85 Riv in pieces I 'd take the Bronco all day long.

If you are looking to paint the car and flip it could be a risky venture. If the interior is excellent and you road tested the car and everything checks out as well as the accessories it might be an OK swap if having the car is more appealing to you than the Bronco. You won't be any further ahead from the standpoint of value but will have something you want.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

As always there is some good advice on here. Thanks guys!

Ed- I would drive that car all over the place. I bet it took a lot more then $382.95 worth of time.

I think I'm going to pass on the Riv. As much as I would like to have a car worthy of joining the ROA I have to imagine I could find something out of the 60's a bit more my style.

Dan,

I picture you in a 1st or 2nd generation car. Something that will take you back to the roots of the Riviera, with some power to boot.

For some odd reason, I've had five of this generation Riviera - the prices were right. Probably the most comfortable of all the Rivieras to ride in but definately the most underpowered (unless you get into a turbo car.) I always had the inkling to drop a 403 Olds motor out of one of the 6.6 Liter Trans Ams into one of these and (shhhh) ditch the smog stuff. It would take some beefing up of the transmision, but at least when I returned home from the ROA meet in Hershey via West Virginia, the 18 wheelers would not have been passing me as I went up hill. As a buddy in Topeka says, they're a fine "flatlander."

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Guest Ranger

Dan,

I'd like to see the car when you're through painting it. I'm just north of you in Pine City (if the sxxw stops, I should be there in two-three weeks), usually get to Cambridge at least once a week.

Jim,

I don't think I'm going to trade for that Riv after all. I could post a link to the craigslist add for the car if you like. If your curiosity was based on the paint job I would be happy to let you see the 77 Firebird once I have it painted. That project is still a few months from being ready to paint though.

I agree. I was looking before for a 65-66 and wouldn't even mind a 70's boat tail.

In my opinion, the 71 -72 boattails are probably the best bang for the buck in Rivieras right now - I'm not a fan of the '73 with the federal crash bumpers. From what I see on CL, eBay, and some other forums, you can get a nice boattail for a decent investment. If I were to look for a totally different Riviera than I've ever had, I think at this time I'd be looking for a '70 model. The styling has to grow on you, but in the right color combinations - black/black w/ Rivera Rally wheels - and 370 brake hp on tap, you'd have yourself a very nice ride. There was one similar to this on the Memphis CL a few months ago, except it had a black vinyl top, that had an asking price of $3500. Probably should have but I've got storage problems with what I have now.

Ed