65 rivi headlight relay wiring...

Guest onedesertdog

Guest onedesertdog

Hi All,

I don't have a correct plug for the 4 prong headlight relay, so I need to fashion one.

I need to find out what color wire goes to the correct blade number on the relay or even a pic of the plug and wires.

My color coded diagram shows the wire colors, etc. but not the pin numbers/placement.

Thanks,

Buddy

Guest onedesertdog
Hi, Buddy,

Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send you the complete diagram.

Thanks Jim,.... PM sent.

Buddy

Guest onedesertdog

Surprise, surprise, surprise.....

Thanks to Jim's diagram I hooked up the headlight relays to the 65 that haven't worked for 20+ years of sitting in an old barn.....

After cleaning and lubing the arms and linkages, wiring up relay pigtails, the dang things WORKED....

I was sure the motor was fried after all these years.

Man, I almost had tears in my eyes. I kid you not. What a sight...........

Not operating exactly right, but at least they are working.

When turning on the headlights, they open but not quite all the way. Like maybe it had or needs a spring assist? I'll do a little more research tonight on the subject.

They do not close by themselves by turning off the light switch. It has to have the ignition switch turned on, then off.

I also hear a boink, boink, ok I'll say it again, Boink, at the relays.

None the less, I'm on the right track I think...

Buddy

Surprise, surprise, surprise.....

Thanks to Jim's diagram I hooked up the headlight relays to the 65 that haven't worked for 20+ years of sitting in an old barn.....

After cleaning and lubing the arms and linkages, wiring up relay pigtails, the dang things WORKED....

I was sure the motor was fried after all these years.

Man, I almost had tears in my eyes. I kid you not. What a sight...........

Not operating exactly right, but at least they are working.

When turning on the headlights, they open but not quite all the way. Like maybe it had or needs a spring assist? I'll do a little more research tonight on the subject.

They do not close by themselves by turning off the light switch. It has to have the ignition switch turned on, then off.

I also hear a boink, boink, ok I'll say it again, Boink, at the relays.

None the less, I'm on the right track I think...

Buddy

Hi Buddy,

There are assist springs in the system which are usually missing but they dont control overall opening travel. The opening limit switch can be adjusted so the motor opens the covers more completely.

Also, it is normal for the closing system to only be functional when the key is in the on position. That is the purpose of the addition of the accessory (3 prong) relay. Good luck,

Tom Mooney

I just worked on mine yesterday and mine was hooked up to a separate switch and a Nisson motor but it all works now. The passenger side didn't open all the way and 2 things were wrong there were remnants of a metal surround that was mostly gone but one piece was in the way and the shade was hitting it, The other was fixed by loosing the bolt on the adjuster at the motor and moving it until the shade was fully open then locking the bolt now all works as designed except for the separate switch and Im ok with that!

• 8 years later...

So im one of those fools that is putting 65 headlights on my 64...

Trying to make sense of the wiring.

Two questions:

Question 1. Where does the Ground Wire come from that gets screwed down on the Control Relay?

20220410_065923.jpg.fd07019e55a478442bc1c018183b1b92.jpg

20220410_075602.jpg.326c97a1baf2e6ce8152860177fcafd2.jpg

Schematics show it comes from the main headlight harness but i cannot find an extra black wire? The only black wire i see is the one that goes to thr Aux Relay; other than that the only other black wire i find (with an eyelet on it) comes from the left front headlight connections. My assumption however is that this eyelet get screwed to the radiator support (thats is where the ground was located on the 64). Does this wire get screwed down to the Control Relay?

Question 2.

Is there a conflict between the schematic shown in the Servicr Bulletin and the Wiring Diagram in the Service Bulletin with regards to the wiring of the Auxilary Relay to the Control Relay. The way I read it is the the Black with White Stripe and the Black jumper wires are shown reversed when comparing the two.

post-30636-143143090868_thumb.jpg.27bdd79803c4a2b1e1455f8c8a26f7ad.jpgimage.png.ef33625139601ebcda4dfa070182870c.png.8a393f215316455ce5fb984effac0a47.png

As always, anyones help/advice/guidamce is mich appreciated. And photos would be awesome!

Thanks.

Nick

ROA

images.jpeg-9.jpg