1923 McLaughlin Buick

Guest bulldog19ra

Guest bulldog19ra

OK, so to start off I am totally new at this and am looking for direction. My father-in-law has arestored 1923 McLaughlin Buick coupe. I am just looking for the proper channels in which to sell this. Is there a site other than auto-trader/kijiji that would be best to put this up on? He also has another one (but not restored) and its the sedan. Any/all help would be appreciated.

Thanks

(these are the only pics I could get up, the others are too large)

post-99922-143142441482_thumb.jpg

post-99922-143142441453_thumb.jpg

There are several free programs that allow you to edit and resize your pictures. Just use google to find them. You will need pics of just about everything to attract a qualified and interested buyer. You should put about a dozen or more in your ad and have more detailed ones that you can email out.

With the owner's input I would figure out what is wanted for the car, and make sure that price is in your ad. Make sure you have a history of the car and a good description of its condition. If you are unsure of the value of the car you can do research on the web and also contact a certified appraiser in your area. I actually know of Canadian one that specializes in McLaughlins of this vintage so if you need an email address let me know.

You also might put in an ad in the McLaughlin Buick Club of Canada newsletter and web site.

I would put in a detailed ad on both the Buick sell forum and the general buy and sell forum. Once you exhaust the free sites, then I would go onto the fee sites such as Hemmings and AutoTrader.

Post more pics on this forum when you get them resized. We can then tell you more about the car and possibly a range of value.

Guest bulldog19ra
It is actually a roadster, not a coupe. A VERY nice car.

Thank you for posting. I just figured a 2 door was a coupe and a 4 door was a sedan. I'm learning as I go.

Guest bulldog19ra

So the more i look into this the more info I am finding. The restored one is a Roadster Model 644 6 cylinder- and he has the owners manual for it. The sister car is called (correct me if I'm wrong) the touring with the 6cyl as well, its in original condition, it runs, 2 sets of wheels (painted steel and wooden spoke), no top (but the hardware is there). There are also extra parts, (motor, rear-end,)

Here's some helpful information on where possibly to advertise your Buick.

It may help you decide from the many, many internet sites and the car magazines.

(1) Hemmings Motor News (monthly magazine) and its accompanying website, hemmings.com.

It is the foremost place for advertising antique cars, and you should find them

very friendly and hobby-oriented if you explain you're new at this.

Telephone (Vermont) is 800-227-4373 ext. 79610, or (802) 442-3101.

(2) The Buick Bugle, the monthly magazine of the Buick Club of America.

Their magazine is distributed to members, who are dedicated Buick enthusiasts.

They accept ads from non-members but charge them a bit more.

Call their editor, Pete Phillips (Texas) at (903) 436-2851.

(3) Antique Automobile, the bi-monthly magazine of the Antique Automobile Club of America.

It is distributed to members, who appreciate all sorts of old cars. That's the same

organization that produces this computer Forum, but the ads are not connected.

I don't know whether they take ads from non-members, but you can call editor

West Peterson (Ohio) at (937) 478-6613. West also often checks this Forum.

Often, advertisers at any location get calls from agents soliciting their business.

They want to sell a car for you and mark it up for their commission. I think there's

no need to use their services. Much of the car hobby is person-to-person, and you

can save money and do it yourself.

Readers of this forum may have other suggestions, but the above places should suffice.

There's no need to advertise everywhere. If your asking price is realistic, your car should sell,

though sometimes patience is needed. And PICTURES greatly enhance an ad and are

almost a must nowadays.

All the best to you!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

bulldog:

Very nice looking car. I lost out on a 1923 model 54 Buick Sport roadster 3 years ago and I am still having remorse. Yours looks to be a model 44. I would love to have a McLaughlin version. As they are really a cut above the Flint versions in fit and finish. Unfortunately you are on the north side of the border and would have to sell my 1925-25. Ah at least one can dream though.

John Fesser needs a mate to his 1923-45 McLaughlin Touring. Go for it John