How do I remove the distributer?

Dwight Romberger

Hi All,

I am re-setting the timing on my '30 model 47.

According to the '29 shop manual, I have set the flywheel at the 17 degree advance make.

The text reads:

7. Important-Rotor segment should point to No.1 high tension terminal. (It does not)

If the rotor is not in this position, remove manual adance stop cap screw, lift up whole assembly, turn the rotor to proper position, let the assembly down again and replace manual advance screw.

My distributer does not lift out, even with some coaxing with a rumber hammer. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

post-63449-143142434655_thumb.jpg

post-63449-143142434597_thumb.jpg

post-63449-143142434628_thumb.jpg

I usually set the distributor to where the points are just starting to open. Check to see that the rotor is pointing toward a tower at that point. If the points are just breaking open at 17 Degrees BTDC Compression stroke, And the rotor lines up with a tower, You should be right. If the rotor does not line up with a tower at this point, then you have the wrong distributor cap. Just because it fits does not always mean that it is right. On early cars like my 15 C-36 and Marks C-24 there are two different caps. They will fit and look like they will work, but the towers are off by 1/8 th of a turn. Running into things like this in the past, I never assume anything. Dandy Dave!

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I have it running pretty smooth now (vacuum gauge holds at 17), but the choke has to be about 1/3 closed.

If I turn the mixture screw turned in too far, it stumbles and stops.

I can turn it all the way out, and it doesn't change.

That means too lean to me, but I don't know why.

Dwight

It is because of todays alcoholic laced garbage fuel. Ream the jet out a little so that you can adjust it to run a little rich full open, and lean screwed in. You will then find a happy spot. Dandy Dave!