Does anyone know casting number for '36 Ser 40 Third Member Housing?

Krugie36

I would like to know the casting number of the 1936 Ser 40 Buick third member housing. If anyone can give me that information, I would appreciate it. The number 1295957 is cast on the right side of the differential housing area on a 1937 S40 housing, but I'm not sure if it would be in the same place on a '36 S40. If you have a housing that has the number above, then you have a '37 setup. I have a feeling that many '36 S40 Buicks have had there drive trains replaced with '37 setups because the ring & pinion gears are more robust than the '36 gears.

I want the number for the '36 so that I can verify that I purchase the correct housing. Thanks for any help.

Les

Les, I just crawled under my `36 40 series the casting #GM1266464-1.. The number is located on the drivers side and is actually upside down.. I don`t think any other torque tube will fit the stock axle housing except the `36 40 series.. The `36 pinion gear is at the same level as the axle shafts, the `37 pinion gear may be approx. 2" lower, and would change the angle of the torque tube. I did quite a bit of research tying to find something that would fit in the `36 housing and according to Dave Tacheny, nothing fits a `36 but a `36.. I wound up sending my torque tube assembly to Lloyd Young and he installed a R-10 Borg-Warner over-drive in the torque tube which should get me up to a decent cruising speed with the stock 4.44 gears.. My car is still under construction and haven`t driven it yet.. Hope this info helps.. Tom

Tom,

Thanks for the info.

I'm looking for a third member housing and wanted to be able to positively I.D. it if I find one for sale. I currently have a modified '50 Chevy drive train that I put in my '36 Buick Business Coupe decades ago when my ring & pinion gears broke up and couldn't find any more. I had saved the original differential parts and axles, but unfortunately did not save the third member and axle housings.

I now want to get the rear end back to stock configuration, so now I'm looking for the housings. I purchased the correct ring & pinion gears and have an axle housing I can use with some modification, but would like to find an unmodified original axle housing also.

Les

Tom,

Thanks for the info.

I'm looking for a third member housing and wanted to be able to positively I.D. it if I find one for sale. I currently have a modified '50 Chevy drive train that I put in my '36 Buick Business Coupe decades ago when my ring & pinion gears broke up and couldn't find any more. I had saved the original differential parts and axles, but unfortunately did not save the third member and axle housings.

I now want to get the rear end back to stock configuration, so now I'm looking for the housings. I purchased the correct ring & pinion gears and have an axle housing I can use with some modification, but would like to find an unmodified original axle housing also.

Les

Les, there`s a 40 series rear axle housing on ebay item #121234858154 $100 plus ship.. Tom

Thanks to both of you pont35cpe and 1939_buick,

Yes, I'm aware of the axle housing on ebay. I'm waiting for a reply for some more info from the seller because my son asked him for the width of the housing and he indicated 51 1/4 inches "inside brake plate to inside brake plate". I assume that means the shortest distance between each brake plate. This is a couple inches shorter than I think it should be. Also, he lists the housing as fitting '34, '35 and '36 series 40. The Master Parts List indicates that the '36 housing is a different part number than the '34/'35, even though all three cars use the same axle shafts. Any chance one of you could tell me the width of the '36 40 axle housing (inside brake plate to inside brake plate)?

How does one contact Dave Tacney? Is there a way via this forum?

Thank you both very much for taking the time to respond. You are giving me some very good information.

Les

By phone as post 11 in the Dave T thread. Leave a message. Be very patient. No email.

2carb40 who sees Dave T every week or so as post 13

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

Thanks to both of you pont35cpe and 1939_buick,

Yes, I'm aware of the axle housing on ebay. I'm waiting for a reply for some more info from the seller because my son asked him for the width of the housing and he indicated 51 1/4 inches "inside brake plate to inside brake plate". I assume that means the shortest distance between each brake plate. This is a couple inches shorter than I think it should be. Also, he lists the housing as fitting '34, '35 and '36 series 40. The Master Parts List indicates that the '36 housing is a different part number than the '34/'35, even though all three cars use the same axle shafts. Any chance one of you could tell me the width of the '36 40 axle housing (inside brake plate to inside brake plate)?

Thank you both very much for taking the time to respond. You are giving me some very good information.

Les

Les, My housing measures approx. 54 1/2" from flange to flange without backing plates, kinda hard to get an exact measurment... Dave Tacheny 320 427 3460 11949 Oregon Ave. N Champlin, Mn. I think the area code is correct.. Tom

pont35cpe and 1939_buick,

You guys have given me some great information to work with.

It looks like that axle housing on ebay just may be the right one. I now have a casting number for the third member housing and a lead for possibly finding one.

Thanks to you both, again.

Les

• 2 months later...

UPDATE:

I contacted Dave Tachney, who referred me to French Lake Auto Parts (also in MN). French Lake indicated that they had a complete 1936-40 rear end, but could not find the casting number to confirm that it was what I specified. Trying to think of another way to confirm the correct part, I remembered That I had a set of differential bearing caps with casting numbers that I had saved from the original rear end. French Lake was able to confirm that there's had the same number, so I took a chance and ordered the complete rear axle setup. I received it yesterday (5/22/14) and after scraping all the gook off the third member housing, the number GM 1266464-1 appeared.

Thank You to pont35cpe, 1939_buick, Dave Tachney and French Lake Auto Parts, I now have the correct rear axle assembly.

Les

Edited by Krugie36 (see edit history)